Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 3:7-11
1. Jesus was repeatedly tested by Satan and by men, Matt. 4:1; 16:1.
2. Test (peirazō): "to test (objectively), that is, endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline: - assay, examine, go about, prove, tempt (-er), try" (Thayer).
3. Motives: Driven by faithlessness; designed to entangle, Matt. 22:15; to catch and accuse, Lk. 11:53-54.
4. Jesus stood every test, always answering well, Matt. 22:46; Mk. 12:34.
5. It is possible that we are testing Jesus with our attitudes, words and lives. 1 Cor. 10:9
I. SATAN TESTED JESUS TO SIN, Matt. 4:1; Lk. 22:28.
A. Jesus was not Deceived by Satan's Temptations, Matt. 4:3-10.
-We should learn from Jesus to recognize sin's temptations!
B. We Cannot Deceive Christ with Our Sins, Matt. 15:7-9; Acts 5:9.
II. MEN TESTED JESUS BY REJECTING THE EVIDENCE HE GAVE THAT HE IS THE CHRIST, Matt. 16:1-4.
A. The Words and Works of Jesus Testify of Who He Is, Jno. 5:36; Matt. 16:16-17; Jno. 20:30-31.
B. When we Willfully Refuse the Evidence for Christ We Join the Camp of Faithless Evil, Matt. 16:1-4; cf. Jno. 12:48.
III. TESTING JESUS BY REJECTING HIS TRUTH.
A. By Seeking Contradictions instead of Harmony and Conformity to Truth, Matt. 19:3; Lk. 20:20-23; Jno. 8:5-6.
-The One who is the Word never contradicts His word (Scriptures).
B. By Doubting His Way of Salvation, cf. Num. 21:4-6 (1 Cor. 10:9); cf. 1 Cor. 1:18-19.
C. By Teaching Error, Acts 15:10.
1. False doctrine; the devil's enticement to reject Christ, Acts 15:10.
2. It tests God by elevating man's will above God's stated will.
IV. WE MUST:
A. Test Ourselves, 2 Cor. 13:5.
B. Try those who Claim Authority from Christ, Rev. 2:2.
C. Accept Christ's Help when We are Tempted, Heb. 4:15-16.
-Do not harden your heart in rebellion, Heb. 3:7-11.
D. Endure Trials (tests to our faith), Jas. 1:12 (2-3); 1 Pet. 1:6; 4:12.
1. The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations (testing, trials), 2 Pet. 2:9 (1 Cor. 10:12-13).
2. When the Lord returns, will He really find faith on the earth? Lk. 18:8
3. Or, will He find the faithless testing of His love, His mercy, His truth and His longsuffering? Rom. 2:1-6