Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalms 118:15-24
THE TENTS OF THE RIGHTEOUS
1. God has repaired & raised up the “tent” of David (dwelling, house, ruling monarchy): Messiah & His kingdom, Acts 15:16-17.
2. The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tents of the righteous; the right hand of the LORD does valiantly. (Psa. 118:15)
3. We are not as familiar with tents as the ancients; yet, they teach us many essential lessons for life & eternity.
I. LIVING IN TENTS, Heb. 11:9.
A. Nomadic Life is an Important Symbol in the Bible:
1. Wanderers: “This world is not my home.”
a. Hebrew fathers.
b. Israel in the wilderness, Num. 9:17-18.
c. Rechabites, Jer. 35:5-10, 14, 16, 18-19: Blessed by God.
d. Christians, 1 Pet. 2:11.
2. Exposed to danger: Jer. 10:19-20.
a. Must rely on God’s protection, cf. Psa. 18:1-3 (faith).
b. Judah did not trust God for protection…punished by God, Jer. 5:10-13; 10:17-25.
c. Christians: Dependent on God; do not despise the Lord’s correction, or we will be defenseless in the day of trouble, Heb. 12:4-6; 13:5-6.
3. Promise of a homeland, Heb. 11:9-10, 13-16.
a. Israel in wilderness, Deut. 8:2-7.
b. Christians dwell with God, Ezek. 37:27; 2 Cor. 6:16.
c. Christians live for heaven, Heb. 13:14; Rev. 21:1-3.
II. PITCHING TENTS (“to stretch out, extend, spread out”).
A. Some Pitch their Tent toward Sodom, Gen. 13:12 (1 Jno. 2:15-17).
1. It is a material choice, Gen. 13:10.
2. It is a selfish choice, Gen. 13:11.
3. It is a shortsighted choice, Gen. 13:13; 2 Pet. 2:7-8 (Gen. 19:14, 16, 26, 30ff). Influence of evil is real & deadly!
B. Some Pitch their Tent away from Wickedness, Gen. 13:18.
1. Abraham chose to live by faith in God’s promises, Gen. 13:14-17.
2. Come out & be separate, 2 Cor. 6:16-7:1; Eph. 5:11-14.
a. Guard your personal reputation by making godly choices.
b. Protect yourself against evil influence by fleeing, 2 Tim. 2:22.
-The choice is before each of us: Psa. 84:10-12.
III. MAKING TENTS, Acts 18:3.
A. Honor in Honest Labor, 1 Ths. 4:11-12.
-To provide for self & family; to give to others; & to live honestly before others; cf. 1 Ths. 2:9; Acts 20:34-35.
B. Beware of Covetousness, Lk. 12:15-21.
1. Seek first things first, Matt. 16:33-34.
2. Work & its gifts are God’s gift; do not abuse it so that it becomes Satan’s tool to destroy us (Eccl. 5:18-20).
IV. PUTTING OFF OUR TENTS, 2 Pet. 1:12-14.
A. We will all Die, 2 Cor. 5:1-5 (Heb. 9:27).
1. Destroyed: “dissolve…throw down” (“lodge” in Lk. 9:12).
2. Our tent (body) will be “thrown down” (dismantled) in death.
3. For Christians, death is:
a. Fulfillment of desire, 5:2.
b. Relief of burden, 5:4.
c. Event for which we are prepared, 5:5 (faith, 5:6-8).
4. Are you ready to die?
1. What will we do while we live in this “tent” (flesh):
a. Complain? 24 Then they despised the pleasant land; they did not believe His word, 25 But complained in their tents, and did not heed the voice of the LORD. (Psa. 106:24-25)
b. Rejoice? The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tents of the righteous; the right hand of the LORD does valiantly. (Psa. 118:15)
2. The house of the wicked will be overthrown, but the tent of the upright will flourish. (Prov. 14:11)