Power Point Show MP3 audio Pt 1 MP3 audio Pt 2
Scripture Reading: Matthew 22:34-40
The Ten Commandments
1. "The Barna Research Group says that 60 percent of Americans canít name even five of the Ten Commandments." (Faithlife Blog)
2. The view that people are under the binding authority of the 10 Commandments is prevalent, yet biblically misinformed and false.
I. WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY AND HOW?
A. Who? God, Exo. 20:1
B. What? Commands, Deut. 4:13
C. Where? Mt. Sinai (Horeb), Exo. 19:17; 20:18; Deut. 5:2
D. When? After Egyptian Deliverance, Exo. 19:1
E. Why? Covenant, Deut. 5:2-3
F. How? Verbally, Deut. 5:4-5, 22-29; then on 2 tablets of stone (4:13)
II. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, Exo. 20:1-17 (Matt. 22:34-40).
A. Commands Concerning God: #1-4.
#1 - No other gods: Worship and obey only Jehovah, Deut. 4:35-36, 39-40; Psa. 115:1-9.
#2 - No graven images: No idolatry/Jealous God, Deut. 4:15-19.
#3 - No use of God's name in vain: Holy reverence, Lev. 19:12.
#4 - Keep Sabbath: No work/remember deliverance, Deut. 5:15.
B. Commands Concerning Neighbors: #5-10.
#5 - Honor parents: Promised blessings in the land, Deut. 6:1-3.
#6 - Do not commit murder: Honor life, Gen. 9:5-6; Num. 35:30,33-34.
#7 - Do not commit adultery: Honor marriage (holy), Lev. 20:7-8, 10.
#8 - Do not steal: Deprive of property, Deut. 27:17 (Prov. 22:28).
#9 - Do not bear false witness: Deprive of justice, Psa. 15:2; Zech. 8:16.
#10 - Do not covet: Crave anything of your neighbor's, Lev. 19:18.
III. ARE WE UNDER THE 10 COMMANDMENTS TODAY?
A. No, We are Under the Authority of Jesus, not Moses, Matt. 17:5; 28:18.
1. Since the Law could not save lost, neither could the 10 commandments, Rom. 7:1-12; 3:20-24; Gal. 3:10-12.
2. Jesus is the Savior and His word saves, Acts 13:38-39.
B. The Law, which was a Wall of Separation Between Jews and Gentiles, has been Removed, Eph. 2:11-16. (Included 10 comm.)
-Nailed to the cross, Col. 2:13-17 (law that included the Sabbath).
C. The Law Written on Tablets of Stone was Taken Away in Christ, 2 Cor. 3:3-14.
1. Contrasts Old Covenant (written on stone tablets, Deut. 10:1-4) and New Covenant (written on hearts, Heb. 8:10; 10:16).
2. Many minds still blinded about the old law, 2 Cor. 3:12-16.
D. The First Covenant is Old (obsolete); the Second Covenant is New, Heb. 8:6-13; 10:9.
E. They are for Our Learning, Rom. 15:4.
1. All but one are reinforced in the new covenant, Matt. 22:37-39; Rom. 13:8-10.
2. Sabbath a sign between God and Israel, Exo. 31:12-18; Ezek. 20:12.
a. Remember their Egyptian bondage and their deliverance, Deut. 5:15.
b. Not bound today - No longer applies, Col. 2:16-17.
1. The tablets were put into the ark of the covenant, Deut. 10:1-5.
2. That covenant has been removed; Christ's covenant is binding today on all the world, Matt. 28:19-20.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 24, 2014