Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: James 5:7-11
Take As An Example
1. Example (deigma): “prim. a thing shown, a specimen...make a show of, expose” (Vine). (Jude 7)
a. hupodeiga, “lit., that which is shown,” a pattern (Jno. 13:15).
b. hupogrammos: “lit., an under-writing (from hupographo, to write under, to trace letters for copying by scholars)” (Vine) 1 Pet. 2:21.
2. A model, pattern for imitation.
a. A figure, copy, Heb. 8:5.
b. For imitation, Jno. 13:15.
c. For warning, Heb. 4:11.
3. Since we all have influence, our examples have influence on others.
a. Christians need examples to follow, Phil. 3:17.
b. Christians are to be examples to others, 1 Thess. 1:7.
4. “Take…as an example…” (Jas. 5:10)
I. EXAMPLE OF CONTENTMENT THROUGH HUMBLE SERVICE, Jno. 13:12-17.
A. Christ’s Example Taught His Disciples the Value of Humble Serve, 13:16; Lk. 22:24-27. (”Less of me and more of thee.”)
B. The Result of Humble Service is Blessedness, Jno. 13:17.
-Rewarded by God with grace, cf. Lk. 22:28-30; 1 Pet. 5:5-6.
II. EXAMPLE OF HOW YOUNG CHRISTIANS OUGHT TO LIVE, 1 Tim. 4:12 (Phil. 2:19-22).
A. Many Young People Struggle with Identity and Opposition.
1. Best defense against being discounted because of your youth is maintaining a sterling character and lifestyle, Titus 2:6-8.
2. To be taken seriously you have to take your faith seriously.
B. Young People Bear Moral Responsibilities, Too.
1. Remember God early in life, Eccl. 12:1.
2. Live by God’s word, Psa. 119:9-11.
3. Be about God’s business, Lk. 2:49, 52.
III. EXAMPLE OF GOD’S CHILDREN FALLING THROUGH UNBELIEF, Heb. 3:17-19; 4:11.
A. Unbelief Can Enter Our Hearts Just Like Israel (Heb. 3:7-13).
1. After receiving bountiful blessings.
2. We must learn from Israel’s examples or we will repeat them, 1 Cor. 10:6, 11.
B. We Must Increase Our Faith, Heb. 4:2.
1. Shield against sin, Eph. 6:16.
2. Cherish our spiritual blessings, Heb. 6:4-6.
IV. EXAMPLE OF STEADFAST PATIENCE, Jas. 5:10-11.
A. Suffering Demands Endurance Whatever Form It Takes.
1. In the face of undeserved suffering: The prophets (5:10).
-Persecutions of mockery, threats, conspiracies, punishments, and death, 2 Chron. 36:15-16 (cf. Jer. 38:2-6); Matt. 5:11-12.
2. In the face of hardships and calamities: Job (5:11).
-Look at the outcome of his perseverance, Job 42:10.
3. In the face of injustices: Jesus, 1 Pet. 2:18-23.
-Be submissive; Take it patiently; Do not return evil for evil.
B. Establish Your Heart, Jas. 5:7-8 (to turn resolutely in a certain direction” (Strong’s I:67); Steadfastly set, strengthen, Isa. 40:27-31 (faith).
1. Be a godly example by using the examples given in Scripture and set before us by faithful, godly Christians.
2. Trace out our lives using Jesus as our model, 1 Pet. 2:21.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: November 13, 2018