Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 3:9-15
Bible Answers to Suicide
1. Our hearts ache with sadness for those affected by suicide; those who saw no way out except death, and those left to pick up the pieces of shattered hopes, dreams, unanswered questions.
2. In 2019 suicide was the second leading cause of death in 15-19 year-olds (21.5%) after unintentional injuries (34.5%).
a. In 2016, someone in America attempted suicide every 28 seconds. It is the second leading cause of death for people aged 15-24 (“Suicide Statistics We’d Like to Change in 2019,” Hannah Kwawu, Crisis Text Line).
b. Bullying, cyber-bullying, abuse, and other factors are present.
c. Young or old, primary motive is helplessness and hopelessness (helpless, hapless, hopeless).
3. Suicide is an irreversible solution to a temporary problem. It is a selfish “answer” that solves nothing and hurts others. Yet, in a moment of crisis some see it as their only alternative.
4. What does the Bible say about suicide and its prevention? What can we do to help?
I. YOUR LIFE IS A GIFT FROM GOD, Gen. 1:26-27; Isa. 42:5; Acts 17:25.
A. Life has Purpose, Perspective, and Possibilities, Eccl. 3:12-13; 11:9.
1. Secularism cannot answer basic questions: Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going?
2. Leaves unfulfilled hearts and lives in its wake.
B. Life Becomes Increasingly Meaningless in a Secular Humanist Society because God is Increasingly Rejected, Rom. 1:22-31 (dark, unfulfilled lives).
1. CDC: 25% LGBTQ teens attempted suicide in first half of 2021. During the same timeframe, nearly half (46.8%) LGBTQ teens said they seriously considered it.
2. God is left out of all the answers to suicide’s “cry for help.”
3. Secularism’s emphasis on wealth, pleasure, and self-fulfillment leave a bloody trail of damaged souls full of skepticism, doubt, and fear.
C. Jesus Gives is an Even Greater Gift than Earthly Life – Eternal Life, 1 John 5:11 (John 10:10).
II. WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT SUICIDE.
A. Suicide is Self-Murder, Matt. 27:3-5. No help, happiness, or hope.
B. Suicide is an Action of Utter Despair and Faithlessness.
1. Clearly, emotional and mental traumas and illnesses lead people to take their lives. God knows and will judge righteously according to truth (Rom. 2:2, 5).
2. Warning signs of suicide are generally overwhelming feelings of helpless, haplessness and hopelessness.
a. Elijah’s contemplation, 1 Kings 19:1-4 (work to do, 19:15-18).
b. Judas (Matt. 27:3-5); Contrast Peter (Matt. 26:75).
c. Philippian jailer; The gospel was his salvation, Acts 16:27-30.
3. Physical suffering is not a valid reason to commit suicide, Job 3:11-13, 25-26; 42:1-6 (cf. assisted suicide).
III. JESUS IS THE ANSWER INSTEAD OF SUICIDE.
A. Suicide Expresses Helplessness, but Jesus Christ is the Great Helper of All Who Come to Him, Matt. 11:28-30.
-Helplessness is a perception, not the reality. Always help.
B. Suicide Expresses Haplessness, but Jesus Christ is the Great Joy Giver, John 16:22, 33. (Hapless: Miserable, unhappy, doomed)
1. Sin brings sadness and sorrow, but it need not be overwhelming, Heb. 13:5-6.
2. Learn to be thankful, content, and put faith in God.
C. Suicide Expresses Hopelessness, but Jesus Christ Lives and Gives Living Hope, 1 Pet. 1:3-5 (1 Cor. 15:19-20).
1. The prodigal returned home when things seemed hopeless.
2. Hope we have in Jesus is secured in heaven, Heb. 6:18-20.
1. Suicide leaves nothing but pain, sorrow, and unanswered questions for those who remain, with eternal anguish for the departed. Christ cannot say, “Well done, good and faithful servant” to one who willfully takes their life.
2. Gospel is the answer to sin and trouble, bringing forgiveness and the joy of a new life in Christ (John 3:3-5; 2 Cor. 5:17). New start.
3. Yes, there will be trials, troubles, pain, sorrow, etc. Finally, eternal life with none of these things, Rev. 21:4-5.
4. Instead of suicide, ask: “What must I do to be saved?” Acts 16:30-32
By: Joe R. Price
Posted April 17, 2022