FAILURE & SUCCESS IN GOD'S SIGHT
1. There is a great emphasis on success in our culture (academically, financially, socially, etc.)
2. Trying to live up to human standards & expectations will never bring satisfaction & contentment to your life! 2 Cor. 10:12 (Phil. 4:11-13)
3. What men count as success & failure is often not God's assessment - 1 Sam. 16:7; Isa. 55:8-9.
4. What does God regard as success? What does God see as failure?
I. WE ARE TRULY A FAILURE IN GOD'S SIGHT:
A. When We Lose Our Own Souls - Matt. 16:26.
1. May be rich, but with little or no faith Ù Failure! Matt. 19:20-22
2. Life does not consist in (lit, "is not") the abundance of things we own! Lk. 12:15-21; cf. Eccl. 5:10 (no ultimate satisfaction!)
3. You do not have to lose your soul! - 1 Tim. 2:3-4; Matt. 11:28; Acts 2:40
B. When We Are Disobedient To Him - Heb. 3:16-19.
1. We must be careful to obey the gospel of Christ - Matt. 7:21-23, 24- 27; cf. Josh. 1:7-9.
2. We must not alter nor accept alterations of God's word - Gal. 1:6-10
3. You can properly obey the Lord! - Deut. 5:29; 28:1-2; Jas. 1:25; Rev. 22:14
a. You can begin (2 Cor. 6:2).
b. You can repent (prodigal son).
C. When We Do Not Do What We Can - Matt. 25:15, 24-30; Jas. 4:17.
1. We must use our abilities to God's glory - 1 Pet. 4:10-11.
2. We can grow & bear fruit - Jno. 15:2, 5, 8.
3. We can all do something! - Matt. 10:42; Eph. 3:21
II. WE ARE TRULY A SUCCESS IN GOD'S SIGHT:
A. When We Live By Faith - Heb. 11:6.
1. Sacrificially depend upon God - Mk. 12:41-44 (Rom. 12:1).
2. When we suffer in the flesh - cf. 2 Cor. 12:7-10.
3. When we are wrongfully accused - cf. Jesus - Isa. 53:3-4; Matt. 5:10- 12.
4. When we practice godliness - 1 Tim. 4:8.
5. We can live by faith! (Heb. 11)
B. When, With A Ready Heart, We Do God's Will As We Are Able - 2 Cor. 8:12, 5.
1. The mind of Christ - Phil. 2:5 Ù Jno. 8:29 (2 Cor. 5:9).
a. As a parent, as a spouse, as a child (Col. 3:18-21).
b. As an employee, employer (Col. 3:22-4:1).
c. As a neighbor, a fellow Christian (Gal. 6:1-2, 10).
2. We can have a heart which pleases God! Rom. 12:2
C. When We Resist Temptation & Wait For The Lord To Judge - Jas. 5:7-12.
1. Live patient lives, waiting for His blessings - 5:7-8.
2. Live patient lives, waiting for His judgment - 5:9. (Don't start to sin!)
3. Learn from past examples (prophets, Job) - 5:10-11.
4. Demonstrate your unfailing trust in the Lord! - 5:12.
5. You can resist and endure! Jas. 1:12
1. God is pleased & you are successful when you live a good & faithful life! - Matt. 25:21
2. Pursue true & lasting success - Be a faithful child of God!