STRONG IN CHRIST
1. NT speaks of strength in Christ - Phil. 4:13; 2 Cor. 10:3-4; 1 Cor. 16:13.
1. Excuses for not doing what God has told us to do will not be accepted by Him! (cf. child-parent) - Rom. 2:6; 2 Cor. 5:10.
"I dont have the ability, I cant do this or that."
"I dont have much education."
"What will people think about me if I do that."
"I dont have much money, I cant give."
"There are just so many things happening in my life I dont have time to worship,...."
"Im too tired."
"Brother/sister so and so doesnt love me anymore......"
2. Lk. 14:18, 21, 24 - Excuses anger God & forfeit heaven!
3. QUESTION: Can you name one thing that God requires of us that we are unable to do? If so, what?
4. Eph. 6:10 - Here are some ways to be strong in Christ & overcome excuses for spiritual neglect (sin).
I. BE INTERESTED IN GODS WILL!
A. The Ethiopian - Acts 8:27-39.
1. v. 27 - Traveled great distance to worship (~1000 mi.).
-(worship services, gospel meetings, class to teach another)
2. v. 28 - Used his time to read scripture.
-(Use your time to read Gods word!)
3. v. 31, 34 - Interested in learning.
-(Break out of the "boredom" mode! - 2 Tim. 2:15)
4. v. 36-38 - Responsive to truth - Obedient to it. (Jas. 4:17)
5. v. 39 - Rejoiced in his salvation. (cf. Psa. 51:12-13)
B. Cornelius - Acts 10.
1. 10:1-2 - Excelled in character (10:22).
2. 10:24, 33 - Anxious to hear Gods word & share it.
3. 10:48 - Obeyed the commands of the gospel.
-Without a primary interest in Gods will, our lives will flounder in confusion and distress.
II. HAVE CONVICTIONS BASED ON GODS WORD - Rom. 10:17.
A. Full Of Faith - Acts 11:24.
1. When there is no faith there is no conviction!
2. Conviction (synonyms: Confidence, certainty, intensity, fervor, persuasion.
3. cf. 2 Tim. 1:12; 1:7; 1 Cor. 16:13 - Calls to conviction which cause us to offer our best to God!
III. HAVE A DESIRE FOR THE TRUTH AND RIGHTEOUSNESS (1 Pet. 2:2).
A. Seek & Apply Gods Word & Will For Your Life - Acts 13:6-7.
1. Sergius Paulus "sought" to hear the word of God.
2. Otherwise, we offer excuses, grow spir. weak & die.
3. Matt. 5:6 - Hunger & thirst (cf. Psa. 119:131).
IV. DECIDE NOW TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT!
A. Have A Willing Mind - 2 Cor. 8:12.
B. Determine To Deny Self & Sacrifice For Jesus - Lk. 9:23.
-(Willingness to sacrifice reveals the value we place on Jesus, truth & salvation!) - Heb. 3:7-8; 2 Cor. 6:2.
V. DO THE RIGHT THING NOW! - Josh. 24:15; 1 Kgs. 18:21
A. Must Do The Things Which Produce Spiritual Strength - Eph. 6:10-11, 14-18.
B. We Must Do More Than Talk A Good Game - Live It! - Matt. 7:23
1. We are able to learn our duty to God and to do everything God requires of us - Lk. 6:46.
2. Get busy learning & doing - Living by faith! 2 Cor. 5:7