STRENGTHENED IN THE GRACE OF CHRIST
1. 2 Timothy is Paul's emotional farewell to a man he dearly loved (as a son) - 1:1-5; 2:1.
2. In early part of epistle, he urges Timothy to be strengthened:
a. 1:7-8 - To preach truth & suffer for it.
b. 1:14 - To guard (keep) the faith entrusted to him (1 Tim. 6:20).
c. 2:1 - In grace (4:22).
3. We need strength to live in the grace of Christ - to be true to the faith we pro-fess. [cf. 2 Pet. 3:18 - "Grow in grace"]
I. BE STRENGTHENED IN GRACE BY TEACHING THE GOSPEL TO OTHERS - 2:2.
A. The Things Which You Have Heard.
1. From me - v. 13; 1 Tim. 6:3; cf. 2 Tim. 4:2.
2. Among many witnesses - Assurance of validity of gospel.
3. Must be sure we are passing along valid teaching (2:15)!
B. Commit To Faithful Men.
1. Commit - "To put near, to entrust, to place with someone;" Deposit for safe keeping.
2. Faithful men - Trustworthy, reliable - cf. 1 Tim. 1:12.
C. Equip Them To Be Able To Teach Others.
1. Here is where grace is strengthened - As we persevere in the task given us.
2. 2:3-6 - Three illustrations which help strengthen us in God's grace (2 Pet. 3:18) -- ("traits of the faithful man").
II. WAYS TO BE STRENGTHENED IN THE GRACE OF CHRIST - 2:3-6.
A. Serve As A Soldier - v. 3-4.
1. Suffer (endure) hardship - (1:8; 4:5).
a. Causes trust in Lord to grow.
b. 2:8-12 - Reasons to endure hardships: Jesus, v. 8-9; Brethren, v. 10; Reward - v. 12.
2. No entanglement with the world - 2 Cor. 6:14-18.
a. Matt. 6:33 - Kingdom & righteousness -- GOALS!
b. Lk. 14:15-24 - All else less important!
3. Active duty (armed & ready) - Eph. 6:10-13.
-Deut. 20:1-8 - Wanted none preoccupied, too busy or afraid (Harm to self & other soldiers!).
B. Compete As An Athlete - v. 5.
1. Commitment to crown - 4:7-8; 1 Cor. 9:24-25
a. Intensity, tenacity, etc.
b. In our case, heaven - 1 Pet. 1:3-4.
2. Discipline - 1 Cor. 9:25-27 (self-con-trol).
a. Put away faults, hindrances, etc.
b. Practice, prac., prac. - 2 Tim. 2:15; 1 Tim. 4:7-8; Heb. 5:14.
3. Obey the rules - v. 5.
a. Commitment & discipline without obeying the rules disqualifies!
b. Matt. 7:21; Heb. 5:9 - Must obey God first & always!
C. Work Like A Farmer - v. 6.
1. Hard work.
a. Being first to partake is reward of labor....And a reminder that without hard work, he will be the first to go hungry!
b. Gal. 6:7-8; 2 Cor. 9:6 - Reap what we sow, & in proportion to the amount we sow!
2. Patience - Gal. 6:9; Jas. 5:7-11.
a. Must work now, wait for harvest.
b. Heb. 6:9-12 - Live in faith, hope & trust - God's promise of reward.
c. cf. Teaching - 2:2; 4:2 - Takes time.
d. 1 Cor. 3:6-9 - One sows...waters... reaps - Rewarded for one's own labor.
1. We each need to be strengthened in the grace of Christ.
2. 2 Tim. 2:7 - Consider these things to gain understanding.
3. Serve - Compete - Work - You will be stren-gth-ened in the grace of Christ, & rewarded through it!