JESUS STILLS THE STORM
1. Matt. 8:18-23 - Following Jesus demands sacrifice & commitment (priorities). (Song: "Where He Leads Me, I Will Follow.")
2. Like the disciples who followed Jesus into the boat (8:23), Christians have followed Jesus & are in His church (Acts 2:47; Col. 1:13). Disciples face many storms of life which we must face in faith!
3. Matt. 8:23-27 - Jesus calming the storm is a thrilling example of Christians' need to have faith in Christ's power as we are confronted with the storms of life.
I. CHRISTIANS MUST FACE MANY STORMS (Trials) AS THEY FOLLOW JESUS - 8:24; cf. Mk. 4:37 (Suddenness & Strength).
A. The Storm Of Allegiance - Matt. 10:34-39.
1. Family (v. 35-37); Duty & its sacrifice (v. 38); Life itself (v. 39).
2. If our allegiance is divided, we will drown in this storm! - Matt. 6:24
B. The Storm Of Worldliness - 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
1. At war with lust - Must not let our "boat" fill up with worldliness -- or we will drown in sin!
2. 1 Jno. 2:15-17; 2 Tim. 2:22; Eph. 5:3-11; 1 Ths. 5:22 - Must: Not love it, be far-removed from it, abstain from every form of it! (Pure language, modesty, entertainment...)
C. The Storm Of Religious Compromise - 2 Cor. 11:3-4.
1. False teaching (Gal. 2:4-5); Silence on what is truth (Gal. 2:11-12).
2. Jude 3 - Contending brings opposition! (Lk. 6:26).
-Summary: Matt. 5:10-12
II. JESUS IS OUR CONSTANT SOURCE OF SALVATION - 8:25.
-(From sins, Matt. 11:28-30; From trials of faith, Heb. 12:1-2)
A. When We Face Troubles, We May Begin To Question His Care For Us - Mk. 4:38.
1. Trials must prompt prayers of faith, not doubts of His care - Heb. 4:14-16; 13:5-6.
2. Jesus must not be our escape hatch for emergency use only! - cf. Lk. 8:23 (danger, jeopardy)
a. We try to "go it alone" without Christ, & when all else fails, try His way!
b. Trust Him at all seasons! (Prv. 3:5-6)
B. Never Doubt Christ's Concern For Us! (Heb. 13:5-6)
1. Cf. what He left (2 Cor. 8:9), what He became (Phil. 2:6-8), what He endured (1 Pet. 2:23-24) for us!
2. Fullest expression of love - Jno. 15:13.
III. WE MUST REPLACE FEAR WITH FAITH - 8:26.
A. Faith In The Power & Presence Of Christ - Rom. 8:31-39 (Eph. 3:17; Heb. 13:5). [Prompts prayer, obedience & strength.]
B. Faith To Rejoice In Our Tribulations - Rom. 5:3-5 (2 Cor. 12:9-10).
1. Understand their present benefit - v. 3-4 (Jas. 1:2-3).
2. Hope in reward of the faithful - v. 4-5.
C. Faith To Keep On Obeying Jesus! - Jas. 2:17ff
IV. WHY WE CAN TRUST JESUS IN THE STORMS OF LIFE - 8:26-27.
A. Because Of Who He Is.
1. Man (tired, slept) - 1 Tim. 2:5; Heb. 2:17-18; 4:15-16.
2. God - Psa. 89:9; 107:23-32 - Seen in His miracle (Col. 2:9; Phil. 2:5-8).
B. Because Of What He Has Done - 1 Tim. 2:6.
C. Because He Alone Can Save Us From Sin & Death - Acts 4:12 (Lk. 19:10; Rom. 5:8-9).
1. Follow Jesus in faith, knowing you will face storms against your faith.
2. Express trust in His power & presence to strengthen & save you by constantly obeying His word.