Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Romans 12:3-8
The Christian's Stewardship
“primarily denotes the manager of a household or estate (oikos, a house,
nemo, to arrange)” (Vine). He is entrusted with the goods
and affairs of another.
a. Oversees and administers the affairs of his Master for Master’s benefit.
b. Answerable to his Master. His work either honors or dishonors his Master (cf. Joseph, Gen. 39:1-6).
2. We must see ourselves as stewards, for God has appointed us over His goods: (earth, Psa. 8:6-9; spiritual blessings in Christ, our time, God's word…).
I. THE MASTER HAS MADE US STEWARDS, Matt. 25:14-15.
has entrusted His goods to us.
A. Stewards in God’s House:
1. The apostles, 1 Cor. 4:1; 1 Ths. 2:4 (Eph. 3:1-4, 8).
2. Elders, Tit. 1:7 (Heb. 13:17).
3. Gospel preachers, 1 Cor. 9:16-17.
4. Every Christian, 1 Pet. 4:10; Rom. 12:3-8.
B. As Stewards of God’s Blessings We Are:
1. Under His authority, Mk. 13:34 (Matt. 28:18; Col. 3:17).
2. Given God’s work to do, Mk. 13:34 (Jno. 9:4); Eph. 2:10.
3. Expected to use our ability to bless and honor our Master, Matt. 25:15-17 (1 Pet. 4:10-11); Eph. 3:21.
THE STEWARD’S RESPONSIBILITY IS TO BE FAITHFUL,
4:1-3; Lk. 16:10, 12.
A. Our Faithfulness is Judged by Our Master.
1. Faithful to the Master’s purposes, 2 Tim. 2:21-22.
2. Faithful to fulfill our stewardship, Matt. 24:45-46 (“doing”); 25:20-21. [Dependable and Trustworthy]
B. Can the Lord Depend on You to be Faithful…
1. To worship? Jno. 4:24
2. To be zealous of good works? Gal. 6:10
3. To be a diligent parent? Child? Spouse?
4. Use your time wisely for Him? Eph. 5:15-16
5. Make application to every area of your life, Rom. 6:19.
THE STEWARD’S CHARACTER,
1 Cor. 4:2;
A. The Good Steward is Dispensing, 1 Pet. 4:10.
1. He administers or dispenses the Master’s goods to bless others.
2. He is
industrious, honest, diligent and pure; Careful to do the Master’s will.
3. Apostles dispensed the grace of God as they preached the gospel of salvation, Eph. 3:1-3, 8.
B. The Wise Steward is Discriminating, Lk. 12:42-46.
1. He knows what His Master wants and he accomplishes the work he is given. (He is not selfish or untrue to his Master.)
2. He does what he knows pleases God, Jas. 4:17.
C. An Unjust Steward is Wasteful, Lk. 16:1.
1. Shows disregard for the Master’s goods, Eph. 1:17-19; 3:18-19.
2. When we waste our opportunities for good or fail to grow in understanding and obedience of truth we show a lack of respect for God and His authority over our lives.
THE RECKONING DAY,
A. We Make it Our Aim to Please Our Master, 2 Cor. 5:9.
1. The judgments of men and of ourselves are of little consequence, 1 Cor. 4:3-4.
2. Be singularly devoted to Christ, Lk. 16:13.
B. Judgment Day is Coming When an Accounting will be Given, 2 Cor.5:10; Rom. 14:12.
-Preparation and readiness are in order, Matt. 24:44-51.
1. What has
been given into your hand to administer for the glory of God and the good of
(Word of God; Godly influence; Holy living; Material goods; etc.)
2. How does the Master judge your stewardship today: “Good and faithful” or “wicked and lazy”?
3. Be a good steward, 1 Pet. 4:10.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: January 31, 2014