Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 1:22-2:3
1. NT accurately describes man’s spiritual condition:
a. All have sinned (Rom. 3:23); Sin brings death (Rom. 6:23).
b. Only hope for reconciliation to God is blood of Christ – 1 Pet. 1:18-19 (Col. 1:19-20).
c. Until then, we remain dead in our sin – Eph. 2:1-3; Col. 1:21-22.
2. The person who thinks he can draw closer to God while living in sin deceives himself – Eph. 4:17-19, 22.
3. Reconciled must “continue in the faith…” – Spiritual growth – Col. 1:23; Eph. 4:11-16 (2 Pet. 3:18).
4. We all need spiritual growth to be active & strong in Christ.
I. SPIRITUAL GROWTH BEGINS WITH A SPIRITUAL REBIRTH – Jno. 3:3-8.
A. The Sinner is Born Again – 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
1. Purification of soul by obeying truth.
2. Plan of salvation (Acts 16:30-31; Mk. 16:16; Rom. 10:9-10; Acts 2:38).
B. With Rebirth we are New Creatures in Christ & Begin to Grow Spiritually – 2 Cor. 5:17; 1 Pet. 2:1-2.
1. Like the flesh, the spirit grows when nourished.
2. Feed the soul the word of God in order to grow (1 Pet. 2:2).
II. SPIRITUAL GROWTH IS AN ONGOING PROCESS (2 Pet. 3:18).
A. Faith is the Foundation for our Spiritual Growth – 2 Pet. 1:3-5 (1 Pet. 1:5).
1. Faith in God’s grace to save, sustain & supply us – 2 Pet. 1:3-4.
2. Faith to be active in our own spiritual growth – 1:5.
3. No one can force you to grow – it is your personal responsibility!
B. Growth Requires Personal Diligence –2 Pet. 1:5, 10 (5-7); 1 Pet. 1:13
1. Growth comes with struggle, dedication & sacrifice (Lk. 9:23).
2. Giving all diligence (1:5): Haste, earnest care to achieve.
a. Virtue: Moral courage (determination to do what is right at all costs).
b. Knowledge: True knowledge of God & His will we learn from His word & incorporate into our lives.
c. Self-control: Temperance, self-discipline; self-sacrifice…bringing our will into submission to God’s will.
d. Patience: Endurance, staying power, sticking with it.
e. Godliness: Active reverence toward God; life of reverential obedience to God in all things.
f. Brotherly kindness: Genuine, warm concern, courtesy, consideration shared in a family…family of God.
g. Love: Actively seek welfare & good of others rather than being wholly absorbed with self.
C. Spiritual Growth Requires Resisting the Sinful Desires of the Flesh – 1 Pet. 1:14-16; 2:11.
1. Learn to live as “obedient children” in all holiness.
2. Christians partake in the holiness of God (Heb. 12:10).
3. God’s people must not partake in things like fornication, profanity & pornography, gambling, alcohol, dishonesty, malice, spousal abuse, immodest dress, dancing, etc. (Gal. 5:19-21).
4. By spiritual growth we discern good & evil – Heb. 5:14.
D. Spiritual Growth Requires Resisting False Doctrine (Eph. 4:14).
1. When converted one escapes “those who live in error” – 2 Pet. 2:18.
2. False teachers enslave again – all the while promising liberty – 2 Pet. 2:19.
3. God warns us against false teachers who bring in destructive heresies – 2 Pet. 2:1-3.
4. Such errors include…
a. Evolution & modernism (denial of Bible account of creation & other Bible miracles).
b. Moral relativism (deny moral absolute of Scripture).
c. Lifestyle choices: Feminism, homosexuality, unscriptural divorce & remarriage.
d. Religious errors that falsely worship/serve God (denom., etc.)
5. Spiritual growth means holding fast to truth – 2 Tim. 1:13; 2:15.
III. SPIRITUAL GROWTH IS REWARDED.
A. A Heavenly Inheritance is Reserved – 1 Pet. 1:4-9.
1. Incorruptible: “not liable to corruption or decay, imperishable.”
2. Undefiled: “unsoiled…free from that by which the nature of a thing is deformed and debased, or its force and vigour impaired”; No contamination (Rev. 21:4, 8).
3. Does not fade away: “perennial”; unending, does not diminish.
4. Reserved in heaven for you: “Kept, guarded, preserved.”
1. Your spiritual growth is up to you – Heb. 5:12.
2. Diligently obey God with full assurance of hope, faith & patience – Heb. 6:9-12.
3. Be strong in the Lord! – Eph. 6:10
-(Adapted from Spiritual Growth, Ron Halbrook, The Hebron Herald, August 2000)