Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Romans 8:1-8
"I'm not Religious, but I'm Spiritual"
1. One way to rationalize clear disobedience to Christ is to assert one is “spiritual” while acknowledging one is not “religious”.
2. The argument turns on the premise that “organized religion” is offensive, oppressive and opportunistic, while being "spiritual" is “cleansing” and fulfilling because one “connects with their inner self”.
a. None deny that the abuses and sins of "organized religion" harms the good way of truth, cf. Matt. 15:7-9.
b. And, we readily accept that one’s life must conform to religion’s claims in order to have a worthy influence, Jas. 1:26-27; 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
3. False Comparison/Devil's Lie: Not "Religious" vs. "Spiritual", but rather, Spiritual vs. Natural.
4. We wholly reject that one can be “spiritual” in the Scriptural way while rejecting the very Scriptures that teach what it means to be spiritual in one’s life!
I. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE SPIRITUAL?
A. The World’s Definition of “Spiritual”. (Humanistic view) [i]
1. Defined by self for self.
2. Self-discovery, self-definition, self-fulfillment.
B. The Bible Definition of “Spiritual”, Rom. 8:5-8.
1. Mind set on “the things of the Spirit”, 8:5.
2. Live according to the Spirit, 8:5; Gal. 5:16-17.
3. Spiritually-minded produces “life and peace”, 8:6; cf. 2 Pet. 1:3.
4. Subject to the law of God, 8:7.
5. Pleases God, 8:8.
6. Enjoys fellowship with God, 8:9-11.
C. The Opposite is "Natural", to be Carnal, Carnally-minded.
1. To live by sight, not by faith, 2 Cor. 5:7.
2. To live according to the flesh, Rom. 8:5-8 (1 Jno. 2:15-16).
3. The "natural man" is void of spiritual discernment because he rejects the word of God, 1 Cor. 2:14.
II. THE FRUIT BORNE BY SPIRITUAL PEOPLE, Gal. 5:16-26.
A. The Spiritual Person Sets His Mind on Things in Heaven, Col. 3:1-4.
1. His thoughts, motives, intentions, goals and decisions based on Christ's authority, not the earth (1-2).
2. Because of conversion and hope of glory (3-4).
B. The Spiritual Person Receives the Word of God, 1 Cor. 2:14-16.
1. Spiritual man is guided by revelation - He receives the things of the Spirit of God (2:10-13), the mind of Christ (16).
2. Natural man is not guided by revelation - He rejects the things of the Spirit of God and lives solely on human reasoning (14).
3. Application, 1 Cor. 3:1-3. Christians may not only be "unspiritual" (1), but even anti-spiritual (3)!
C. The Spiritual Person Conforms to Will of God, Rom. 12:1-2.
1. Moral choices that conform to God's will, not the world.
2. Obedient faith is our reasonable (rational) service.
D. The Spiritual Person Communes with God in Prayer, Phil. 4:6-7.
1. Peace in life is borne out of a relationship with God, not self-discovery!
2. Prayer is not selfish, it is "self-emptying", Jas. 4:3; Heb. 4:16.
E. The Spiritual Person Using Heavenly Wisdom to Bear the Fruit of Righteousness toward Others, Jas. 3:13-18.
1. Treat others with meekness (13), with integrity (14), purity, peaceably, gently, deference, mercy, sincerely (17).
2. Not with: Bitter envy, ambition, boasting (14) - Earthy, carnal, of the devil (15).
F. The Spiritual Person Fights Against Evil, Eph. 6:10-13.
1. It is not spiritual to "go along to get along".
2. Spiritual battles demand spiritual warriors, 2 Cor. 10:2-5.
1. Christians must be spiritual! Phil. 3:20
2. We live "according to the Spirit" by obeying the gospel of Christ - No condemnation, Rom. 8:1.
3. Put off the old man of sin and put on the new man - "be renewed in the spirit of your mind", Eph. 4:23 (22-24).
“What, then, does it mean to be a spiritual person?
“Being a spiritual person is synonymous with being a person whose highest priority is to be loving to oneself and others. A spiritual person cares about people, animals, and the planet. A spiritual person knows that we are all one, and consciously attempts to honor this oneness. A spiritual person is a kind person....
If you want to be a spiritual person, then let kindness be your guiding light - kindness toward yourself, toward others, toward animals, and toward this beautiful planet that is our home. Recognize that we all have the spark of love that is God within us, and learn to honor that love so that you can know and experience the Oneness of all that is.”
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 11, 2014