Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: John 5:16-23
The Son of God
1. Expression often used in the NT is “son of” (Ex. Son of God); Confusion over its meaning: (Jehovah’s Witnesses & Mormons say it means the Father existed before the Son & gave him life).
2. In fact, it suggests His relationship with God & His character which expresses God.
3. “Son of” was used by the eastern people primarily to denote sameness &/or equality in some respect:
a. Sons of thunder (explosive nature) – Mk. 3:17 (Lk. 9:54).
b. Son of peace – Lk. 10:6 (peaceful man).
4. NT meaning of Son of God & how “son of” applies to us.
I. THE SON OF GOD.
A. Emphasizes Jesus’ Deity (sameness with the Father) – Jno. 5:17-18.
1. Jesus fully submitted himself to the Father’s will; in this sense the Father was greater than Jesus – Jno. 13:16; 14:28.
2. Jesus was “one” with the Father (nature, purpose & will – deity); The Father & the Son have the…
a. Same work – Jno. 5:19-21.
b. Same judgment – Jno. 5:22.
c. Same honor – Jno. 5:23.
3. Full equality (sameness) with the Father (Son of God = One with Father) – Jno. 10:30-38.
a. 10:30 – One with the Father.
b. 10:31-33 – Jews understood this to be a claim of deity.
c. 10:36 – “Son of God” = “I and the Father are one.”
d. 10:38 – “Son of God” = “the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”
4. Jesus is the Son of God because He is the complete expression of the Father (who the Father is) – Jno. 1:18.
a. Son is the perfect manifestation of God’s glory & nature – Heb. 1:3 (express image: “precise reproduction in every respect, i.e. facsimile,” OLB Grk. Lex.).
b. Fullness (complete abundance) of the Godhead – Col. 2:9.
c. “Son of God” is never used in NT to suggest the Father existed before the Son or in some way brought Him into existence.
B. “Son of God” Identifies the Christ & His Nature – Lk. 1:31-35; Matt. 16:16-17; 22:41-45; Jno. 11:27. [Christ would be (is) God with us.]
II. WE MUST BE:
A. Sons of God (speaks of a relationship of likeness & oneness with God in which we partake of the divine nature – 2 Pet. 1:4).
1. Born of God through faith, not flesh – Jno. 1:12-13; Gal. 3:26-27.
2. Once we become sons of God we must live like His sons in order to continue in His blessings:
a. Come out of the world – 2 Cor. 6:17-18.
b. Be a peacemaker – Matt. 5:9.
c. Love like our Father loves – Matt. 5:43-45.
d. Like God (Christ) in all things – Gal. 2:20.
3. God deals with us as sons, disciplining us for our good (He. 12:7).
B. Sons of Light – Jno. 12:36.
1. Light a symbol for knowledge & truth.
2. Follower of the light given by Christ – Jno. 8:12.
a. Bearing the fruit of the Spirit – Eph. 5:7-10.
b. Watchful (spiritually alert) for the Lord’s return – 1 Ths. 5:4-6.
3. Be careful to live by the light of truth (God’s word) – Lk. 11:34-36.
C. Sons of Peace – Lk. 10:6.
1. Live peaceably with all people – Rom. 12:18.
2. Remove hate, jealousy, envy, strife, etc.
III. WE MUST NOT BE:
A. Sons of this World – Lk. 16:8.
1. Characterized by love of this world (1 Jno. 2:15-17).
2. These will perish.
B. Sons of Disobedience – Eph. 2:2.
1. Under the influence of Satan; receive wrath – Eph. 5:6.
2. Must keep the words of Christ to not see death – Jno. 8:51.
C. Sons of the Wicked One (Devil) – Matt. 13:38.
1. When one desires & does Satan’s will – Jno. 8:44.
2. When one lives in sin he has the traits of Satan (son of).
1. The Son of God makes it possible for you to be a son of God through faith in Him (Gal. 3:26).
2. Whose son are you right now: Son of God, or son of Satan?
3. Whose son do you want to be?