DOES THE SILENCE OF THE SCRIPTURES GRANT PERMISSION OR SET LIMITS?
1. Col. 3:17; 2 Tim. 3:16-17 - We must have Christs authority for all we do. A failure to have Bible authority for all things we do has caused division among churches of Christ. Lesson to be learned from OT (Rom. 15:4).
a. Num. 4:1-6, 15; 7:9 - Kohathites to bare the ark on their shoulders.
b. 1 Chron. 13:1-8 - The ark of the covenant had remained in the house of Abinadab for 20 yrs. after returned from Philistines (1 Sam. 7:1). Now, David proposes to bring it up to Jerusalem.
2. 13:9-14 - Death of Uzza showed Gods displeasure over something. What displeased God? [Error - 2 Sam. 6:7]
a. Moving the ark? Why? (13:3) Who? (13:4) How? (13:7)
b. Davids attitude of heart? (13:8)
c. Uzzas good intention? (13:9)
3. 15:2, 11-15 - Because they did not follow Gods pattern for transporting the ark! When they did "as Moses had commanded according to the word of the Lord" 15:15)....succeeded! (15:26)
4. Illus. of adding to Gods word (Deut. 4:2; Prov. 30:6; Rev. 22:18). Put another way, disrespect for the silence of the scriptures! Silence of the scriptures is not license...silence restrains!
5. Study Gods silence & His judgments against adding to His word, then see that adding to Gods silence is "going beyond the doctrine of Christ."
I. GODS SILENCE: MANS DISRESPECT & GODS JUDGMENTS.
A. Nadab & Abihu - Lev. 8:36; 9:2-4; 10:1-2.
1. Animals had been commanded & offered "as the Lord had commanded Moses" (Lev. 8:36; 9:2-24).
2. 10:1 - Strange (foreign, profane) fire - Not commanded.
3. Gods judgment: Death (10:2).
B. King Saul - 1 Sam. 15:3, 9, 13-15, 22-23.
1. v. 3, 9 - The command & the disobedience.
2. v. 13-15 - The explanation (rationalization).
3. Gods judgment: Disobedience / Rebellion (v. 10, 22-23).
C. Jeroboam - 1 Kgs. 12:26-33; Hosea 8:4-7.
1. 12:28 - The incentive.
a. Object (v. 28): Calves -- God.
b. Place (v. 29): Bethel/Dan -- Jerusalem.
c. Priesthood (v. 31): All tribes -- Levi.
d. Feast day (v. 32): Month later -- Tabernacles.
3. Gods judgment: Sin (v. 30; Hosea 8:4-7).
D. Judaizers - Acts 15:1, 24; Gal. 2:5.
1. 15:1 - Circumcision + gospel = Salvation (15:5).
2. 15:24 - No commandment given - Acting alone.
3. Gods judgment: Subverting souls / bondage (15:24; Gal. 2:5).
E. Priestly Tribe Of The Law Of Moses - Heb. 7:12-14.
1. If OT law still in force, Jesus is not a priest. (Heb. 8:4)
2. Silence restricted the priesthood to Levi only!
3. Gods judgment: Only Levi.
II. ADDING TO GODS SILENCE IS GOING BEYOND HIS DOCTRINE & AUTHORITY - Col. 3:17; 2 Tim. 1:13; 2 Jno. 9.
-(False reasoning: "It doesnt say not to, so we are at liberty to do it"!!)
A. Music In Worship (Eph. 5:19).
-Sing + Play = Beyond Christs authority!-
B. Mode Of Baptism (Rom. 6:4).
-Immerse + Sprinkle = Beyond Christs authority!-
C. Subject Of Baptism (Mk. 16:16).
-Believer + Proxy = Beyond Christs authority!-
D. New Birth (Jno. 3:5; Eph. 5:26).
-Water & H. S. + Tongue-Speaking = Beyond Christs authority!-
E. Divorce & Remarriage (Matt. 19:9).
-Fornication + desertion = Beyond Christs authority!-
F. Lords Supper (Acts 20:7).
-1st day + Thursday = Beyond Christs authority!
-More examples of adding to silence of Gods word......
1. The silence of Gods word is respected when we abide in the doctrine of Christ & do not add to its teachings.
2. 2 Jno. 9 - Our salvation & fellowship with God hangs in the balance!