BEHOLD THE SEVERITY OF GOD
1. Rom. 11:22 - Just as we are to have a clear mental perception of God's goodness so that we may continue in it, the same is needed of God's severity so that we may avoid it!!
2. Severity: "roughness, rigor" (Thayer, 69).
3. People do not want to ponder the severity of God, but unless we do we are bound to fall under it -- a truly frightening thought! - Heb. 10:31
4. What must we know about the severity of God so that we can be careful not to fall under it?
I. OUR GOD IS A CONSUMING FIRE, Heb. 12:29. (No more literal fire than literal feathers & wings - Psa. 91:4).
A. God is a Devouring Force Against Evil.
1. God hates sin - Prov. 6:16-19.
2. God punishes sin - Heb. 10:26-31.
3. God has prepared eternal fire for the just punishment of every sinner - Matt. 25:41; 2 Ths. 1:6-10.
B. We Must Fear Him - Lk. 12:5 (cf. Lev. 10:1-3, 6).
II. THE WRATH OF GOD, Nahum 1:2-3.
-["It is the temper of God towards sin, not rage, but the wrath of reason and law." -Shedd, cited in Robertson's Word Pictures on Rom. 1:18.]
A. Traits of God's Wrath Include:
1. Reserved for His enemies - 1:2; Rom. 1:18.
a. Those who reject God & His word - Num. 14:22-23; Psa. 95:7-11 (Heb. 3:7-11).
b. Those who hinder the truth in their unrighteousness.
2. Just & righteous - Rom. 2:5. -It is always due to sin - never capricious (fickle, careless, whimsical).
3. Applied without partiality - Rom. 2:5-11.
4. Cannot be resisted by anyone - Nah. 1:6; Jer. 10:10.
5. Terrible & consumptive, without escape - Zeph. 1:12-18.
6. Abides upon the faithless - Jno. 3:36.
B. God's Wrath can be Avoided by Repentance - Zeph. 2:1-3.
1. Nineveh - Jonah 1:2; 3:4, 5-10.
2. Sinners today - Acts 2:37-38; 8:20-24.
3. Like the reform in the days of Hezekiah, we must put away sin to avoid wrath! - 2 Chron. 29:3-10
III. ESCAPE FROM GOD'S WRATH AGAINST OUR SIN IS AN EXPRESSION OF HIS LONGSUFFERING & MERCY, 2 Pet. 3:9; Rom. 9:22-23.
A. The Sacrifice of Jesus Appeases the Wrath of God, Rom. 3:23-26; 1 Jno. 2:2. (Propitiation - Appeasement, atonement, to make amends)
1. He is the sin offering God will accept, which removes our sin (forgiveness), & thus His indignation toward our sins - Heb. 10:17-18.
2. You need the offering of Christ applied to your sins to escape the wrath of God! (Acts 22:16)
1. Rom. 11:22 - Behold the severity of God. God will punish all sin - Rev. 21:8.
2. Prov. 11:23: "The desire of the righteous is only good, But the expectation of the wicked is wrath."
3. Will you treasure up peace or wrath against the day of eternity? (Rom. 2:5)