Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 78:5-8
Set Your Heart
1. We are what we think, Prov. 23:7.
2. Therefore, we must diligently keep (protect) our heart, Prov. 4:23.
3. Before we can ever do what pleases God we must have a heart that pleases God, Matt. 15:8-9.
4. Set our heart: Mark out its purposes, prepare it for action; determination, will, Col. 3:2. “Make up your mind!” 1 Kgs. 18:20-21
I. DANIEL AND FRIENDS: NOT TO DEFILE THEMSELVES, Dan. 1:8.
A. Purpose of Heart Not to be Morally Defiled, 1 Pet. 1:15-16. (Moral purity begins with purpose of heart, Mk. 7:23.)
1. What do you want, to be a friend of the world? Jas. 4:4
2. Single-mindedness required to be morally clean, Jas. 4:8.
3. Cleanse and sanctify yourself, 2 Tim. 2:19-21.
a. Sexual purity, 1 Thess. 4:3, 7; 2 Tim. 2:22.
b. Wholesome language, Eph. 4:29 (euphemisms, etc.).
c. Kindness and goodness to others, Matt. 7:12.
II. EZRA: SEEK THE LAW, DO IT AND TEACH IT, Ezra 7:10. (Prepared)
A. God Uses Teaching to Advance His Righteous Cause of Salvation, Rom. 10:13-17.
1. Benefits of teaching God’s word to Israel, Deut. 32:44-47.
2. Benefits of teaching gospel today, Matt. 28:19-20; 1 Cor. 1:21; 2 Tim. 2:2.
3. Our heart must be true to the purpose of God’s commands, 1 Tim. 1:5-7.
III. JOASH: REPAIR THE HOUSE OF THE LORD, 2 Chron. 24:1-4 (1-14).
A. Set Your Heart to Seek the Lord by Building His House, 1 Chron. 22:17-19.
1. Build up the church by edification, 1 Cor. 14:26; Eph. 4:11-16.
2. Build up the church by mutual care, 1 Cor. 12:25-26.
IV. WARNINGS AND EXHORTATIONS FROM THE PSALMS AND PROVERBS.
A. Do Not Set Your Heart on Riches, Psa. 62:10 (8-12). 1 Tim. 6:6-10
B. Do Not Set Your Heart on Unfaithfulness, Psa. 78:8 (5-8).
1. Hope, remember with thanks, obey, humble and faithful.
2. Willful sin, Heb. 10:26-31.
C. Do Not Set Your Heart on Your Child’s Destruction, Prov. 19:18.
1. Do not fail to teach and correct (instruct and punish in order to reform, Lev. 26:18).
2. Do not withhold correction, including corporeal punishment, Prov. 23:13-14.
D. Set Your Heart on Pilgrimage, Psa. 84:5.
1. Pilgrimage of worship, Jno. 4:24.
2. Pilgrimage of holiness, Prov. 16:17; Isa. 35:8.
3. Pilgrimage to heaven (this world is not my home), Heb. 11:13-16.
1. Establish your hearts, James 5:8. [stērizo, “to set fast, i.e. (lit.) to turn resolutely in a certain direction,” Strong, I:67]
2. Purpose, prepare, set your heart to love God and your neighbor as yourself, Matt. 22:37-39.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: September 28, 2018