Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 55:6-11
Seek the Lord
1. It is possible for it to become too late to seek the Lord:
a. When death comes it is too late, Heb. 9:27 (Lk. 16:24, 26).
b. When judgment comes it is too late, Matt. 25:10-13 (Jer. 7:16; 11:14; 14:11-12).
c. Full-fledged apostasy, Heb. 6:4-6 (1 Tim. 4:1).
d. There comes a time when the Lord withdraws Himself from His people who reject Him, Hosea 5:6-7 (6:6).
2. Prophesy to seek the Lord, Isa. 55:6-11. The Messiah and His blessings are available to us, and we must seek Him for them.
I. SEEK THE LORD WHILE HE MAY BE FOUND, Isa. 55:6-7.
A. God Will be Found by Those who Inquire after Him and Desire to Serve Him, cf. Acts 17:27; Jno. 7:17; 8:43-44.
B. God Will have Mercy on Us When We Forsake Sin and Return to Him, Isa. 55:7. [Forsake wicked ways and unrighteous thoughts]
-Repentance: Cleanse from the inside out, Matt. 23:25-26.
C. Be Careful to Seek the Lord for the Right (Holy) Reasons.
a. Personal advancement, material, momentary reason, Jno. 6: 26. (physical relief; boyfriend/girlfriend; impress someone; etc.
b. Covetous motives of Ananias/Sapphira, Acts 5:1-4, 7-8, 11, 13.
2. For: Salvation from sin, relief from sin’s troubles, Matt. 11:28-30.
3. Remember, the church is not yours or mine—it is Christ’s!
II. SEEK GOD BY ACCEPTING HIS THOUGHTS AND WAYS, Isa. 55:8-9.
A. God’s Thoughts and Ways are Infinitely Superior to Ours.
1. Mercy and pardon, cf. Jer. 29:11-12.
2. Enormity of His greatness over our thinking, 55:9.
3. To elevate ourselves over others through pride, and over the word of God, is futile and fatal, Gal. 6:3; 1 Cor. 3:18-20.
B. We Must Humble Our Thoughts and Ways to God’s, 1 Cor. 4:6.
1. God's thoughts and ways v. Man’s thoughts and ways:
a. How to be saved v. False doctrines of salvation.
b. The church v. Denominations; Its worship v. innovations; Its work v. social, political, environmental…
c. Marriage for life (one exception) v. Divorce for any cause, remarriage without correction.
2. Our thoughts must be captured to obey Christ, 2 Cor. 10:5-6.
-Submit…resist…draw near…cleanse…purify…sorrow…humble yourselves, and He will lift you up, Jas. 4:7-10.
III. SEEK GOD THROUGH HIS WORD, Isa. 55:10-11.
A. God's Word Accomplishes His Intended Purposes, Jno. 8:31-32; 12:48-50; 17:17.
B. Love of Truth Leads to Salvation, 2 Thess. 2:10-12.
1. Our constant meditation, Psa. 119:97.
2. Those who do not accept “the love of the truth,” but “have pleasure in unrighteousness” (12) will believe a lie (what is false) and not find the Lord, 2:10-12. These are condemned (12) and perish in deception (10).
3. Question we must ask ourselves: Do I really love the truth?
a. Regardless of its cost, its sacrifice, its inconvenience, its responsibilities, etc.?
b. Or, only until as long as it fits our thinking/ways? Jno. 6:60-66
1. Come to God and His Christ (55:1, 3-4). The people of God are blessed with joy, peace and security, Isa. 55:12-13.
2. You will not find God’s mercy in wickedness (7); You will not find God's ways in your ways (8-9); You will not accomplish God's purposes unless you follow His word (10-11).
3. Call on His name and be saved, Acts 2:21, 37-38; 22:16.
-(Adapted from Isaiah, Robert Harkrider, pp. 129-130)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 26, 2019