Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 19:12-14
Battling Secret Sins
1. Heart is the battleground of sin and righteousness (Eph. 4:17-24).
2. Sin may be secret, but it is never private, Psa. 90:7-8.
3. Sin is deceptive, and especially is that so of sins that are not on public display, hidden from others’ eyes and knowledge. Harden heart and sear the conscience as they destroy the soul.
I. THE DECEPTION OF SECRET SINS.
A. “Nobody is Harmed.”
1. The evil say, “God doesn’t see,” Psa. 94:7 (10:11; Zeph. 1:12).
2. Not true: The sinner is harmed, Rom. 6:23.
3. Not true: Others are impacted by sins we think are private.
a. cf. Polluting a stream – Everything downstream is impacted.
b. “The sin committed in the privacy of the home will have its effect in the assembly of the saints.” (The Tozer Topical Reader, II:203). cf. 1 Cor. 5:6
4. Sin influences our minds, so necessarily, it effects our thought process, motives, and eventually our actions, Prov. 23:7; 4:23.
B. Exposing this Deception: The Impact of Secret Sins on Others.
1. Achan, Josh. 6:18; 7:1.
a. Defeat at Ai, 36 men died, Josh. 7:5.
b. Israel and Joshua, Josh. 7:5-6.
c. Achan and his family, Josh. 7:24-25.
2. David and Bathsheba, 2 Sam. 12:11-12.
a. Bathsheba was brought into sin, 2 Sam. 11:4.
b. Uriah was sinned against / murdered, 2 Sam. 11:13, 17.
c. The child was impacted, 2 Sam. 12:14, 18.
d. God’s name suffered, 2 Sam. 12:14.
e. The kingdom suffered, 2 Sam. 12:10.
f. David suffered, 2 Sam. 12:10 (Amnon and Tamar, Absalom, Adonijah, others).
3. Jonah, Jonah 1:2-3.
a. Asleep in bottom of ship (Unconcerned? Resigned?), 1:4-5.
b. Mariners, 1:5, 10-14.
c. Jonah, 1:15, 17.
4. Ananias and Sapphira, Acts 5:4, 9.
a. Church and others had great fear, Acts 5:11. (growth, 5:14)
b. Others like them stayed away, Acts 5:13.
II. SOME OF THE SECRET SINS WE MUST FIGHT AGAINST.
A. Sin of Hate (Sins in the Heart), 1 Jno. 3:11-15.
1. Cain’s hate existed secretly (heart) before exposed, Gen. 4:5-8.
2. To overcome sinful attitudes they must be arrested early (in the mind) to assure holy conduct, Eph. 4:23-24, 31.
B. Sin of Fornication, Prov. 7:18-20.
1. Secretly committed, but its resistance must be public and private refusal to not start down that path, Prov. 6:25-29; 7:21, 24-27. (Don’t lust…don’t act…don’t be enticed…pay attention)
2. Joseph’s refusal was private that produced public injustice (Gen. 39:7, 10, 12-14, 20).
C. Sin of Pornography, Job 31:1-4.
1. May 2018: 43% surveyed said porn is “morally acceptable.”
2. Lust of the eyes (Matt. 5:28; 1 Jno. 2:16).
3. Unlawful passion, uncleanness, self-indulgent craving, Col. 3:5.
D. Sin of Alcohol and Other Drugs, Prov. 20:1; 23:29-32.
1. Often begins in secret, but eventually is exposed.
2. Marijuana, opioids (heroin, morphine, Vicodin, hydrocodone, oxycodone and fentanyl) – 11.8 mil. Americans abuse opioids in 2017. 2016: 63,632 opioid OD deaths (more than car accidents)
III. WHAT MUST WE DO TO RESIST SECRET SINS? Psa. 19:12-14
A. Seek God’s Forgiveness thr0ugh Repentance and Confession to Him, Psa. 19:12; 32:3-5 (51:1-2); 1 Jno. 1:8-9; Acts 8:22.
B. Ask for God’s Help to Resist, Psa. 19:13; Matt. 6:13.
C. Arrange Our Thoughts and Words to Please God, Psa. 19:14.
1. Meditate on God’s word (Psa. 19:7-11).
2. Put His truth in your heart and on your tongue, Psa. 15:2.
-Self-control, self-inspection, personal faith to value holiness.
D. Respect the Judgment of God, Eccl. 12:13-14.
1. God has not forgotten us or our sins, Psa. 10:11-14.
2. He sees all our sins and still wants to save us in His Son Jesus.
3. Openly come to Him and be forgiven of all your secret sins.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 27, 2018