Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 2:8-14
Luke 2:1-20: There is Born to You a Savior
1. Lk. 2:11: A Savior (“Deliverer, preserver”) who is…
a. Christ: Anointed One, Messiah (Psa. 2:1-2) – King.
b. Lord: Ruler, Master (Psa. 110:1-2).
2. Men will soon participate in their celebrations of the birth of the Savior. These celebrations appear to be righteous and appeal to men’s emotions, yet do not give Him the honor He asks for or is due, Col. 2:20-23.
3. True worshipers offer the worship God ordains, not the worship man devises, Jno. 4:23-24.
4. Let us use this time to remember the Savior who was born to us and the word of God that teaches us who he is and what he expects of us and all who would call him “Savior”.
I. WE ALL NEED A SAVIOR, Isa. 7:14; 9:6; Mic. 5:2 (Rom. 3:23).
A. Some Expect a Savior to Save From…
1. Financial crisis…political oppression…social injustice… poverty… Yet…
a. Riches come and go, Jas. 1:9-11.
b. Oppression continues, Jas. 5:1-8.
c. Unjust governments exist, Matt. 22:17-21 (1 Pet. 2:17).
d. Poverty will always exist, Mk. 14:7.
2. Life is uncertain and brief, Jas. 4:13-17.
3. We all need salvation from our sins (Rom. 3:23; 6:23). Otherwise we face just punishment, Eph. 2:1-5.
II. MAKE ROOM FOR THE SAVIOR, Lk. 2:7.
A. Many Hearts have no Room for a Savior Due to Sin:
1. Hardness of sin, Matt. 13:14-15.
2. Pride of self-sufficiency, Jno. 9:41.
3. Worldly cares, deceitfulness of riches and cares of other things, Mk. 4:19.
4. Self-righteousness, Lk. 18:9-14.
B. Room for a Savior Requires:
1. Humble heart, Matt. 11:25-26.
2. Faithful, obedient life, Matt. 7:21-23 (Rev. 17:14).
III. JESUS IS THE SAVIOR, Lk. 2:6-7, 11; Jno. 4:42.
A. Repentance and Forgiveness of Sins, Acts 5:31.
B. Sent by the Father, 1 Jno. 4:14.
1. Ordained by God (given), Isa. 9:6-7:
a. Child (Humanity); Son (Deity), Isa. 7:14.
b. Name: Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
2. Source and Rule of peace (9:7; Lk. 2:13-14): Eternal rule and His kingdom, established with “justice and righteousness”, Heb. 1:8-9 (Jer. 23:5-6).
C. He Alone has the Power to Save: Lord and Christ, Acts 2:36-38.
D. No Other Savior (Acts 4:12); Acts 13:23.
-Buddha, Shiva, Allah, etc.
-Not: Man, knowledge, wisdom…
E. He Saves His Kingdom (Church), Eph. 5:23.
IV. TELL ABOUT THE SAVIOR, Lk. 2:8-20.
-2 Cor. 4:5; 2 Tim. 1:8-10
A. The Savior and His Gospel is for All, 1 Tim. 4:10; 2 Tim. 2:2.
B. The Savior Our Hope, Titus 2:13; Phil. 3:20.
1. The great hope of Israel is now the hope of the whole world (1 Tim. 4:10).
2. The Christian’s hope if we remain faithful, 2 Pet. 1:10-11.
V. GIVE YOURSELF TO THE SAVIOR, Matt. 2:11 (Josh. 24:15).
A. Only then is Jesus Your Savior, (1 Tim. 4:10) Matt. 11:28-30; Acts 2:36-38.
B. New Creature in Christ, 2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 4:17-24.
-Give your heart…give your body…give your all to holiness and righteousness of truth.
1. God has given us a Savior; how will you receive him: “No room” (hard heart, pride, worldly cares) or with humble heart and obedient life of faith?
2. The joy of God’s gift must be remembered every day, translating into hopeful service to God.