THE SACRIFICES OF JESUS
1. Jesus gave Himself for "our sins"; "me"; "the
church" - as a "ransom for all"; to "redeem us
and purify for
Himself His own special people".
2. An offering for sin (adequate, accepted) Eph. 5:2; Heb. 9:26; 10:11-12.
3. Christians are priests who offer sacrifices unto God - 1 Pet. 2:5; Rom. 12:1 (example:
Heb. 13:15-16 - Praise to God; kindness toward others).
4. Jesus had to give up many things to accomplish His mission as a sacrifice for the sins
of the world.
5. We will have to forsake (abandon) all things to sacrifice ourselves unto God - Lk.
6. Consider some of the sacrifices of Jesus.
I. JESUS GAVE UP HEAVEN'S GLORY IN ORDER TO SAVE US (Jno. 17:5; 2
Cor. 8:9; Phil. 2:5-8).
-Grandeur of Deity from eternity past - Jno. 17:5 (Jno. 1:1-3, 14)
-Expression of His grace & the value He places upon your soul - 2 Cor. 8:9!
-Phil. 2:5-8 - Form:
1. Form (External appearance; the form by which a person or thing strikes the
-Of God - cf. Isa. 6:1-3 (Jno. 12:41); Rev. 4:2-5 (5:6). Emptied
Himself (no reputation) - 2:7
-Of a bondservant - Jno. 1:14 (14:28)
2. Required humility!
-We must give up reputation & honor from men to serve Christ! (Jno.
II. JESUS GAVE UP EVERY EARTHLY COMFORT (Lk. 9:58; 1 Pet. 2:21).
-Born in lowly circumstances - Lk. 2:7
-Lived & worked in lowly Nazareth - Matt. 2:23
-Generosity of others was His daily subsistence - Lk. 8:1-3
-What comfort will we forego in order to serve Him (will be inconvenienced if we
live for Christ!)? - Lk. 14:15-24
-Material security? (Matt. 6:24)
-Luxury & extravagance of world's materialism? (1 Jno. 2:15)
-Recreation & "time off" from the Lord? (Matt. 6:33)
III. JESUS GAVE UP HONOR FROM OTHERS (Isa. 53:2-3; Psa. 22:6).
-"Nazarene" - Matt. 2:23; Jno. 1:45-46
-Pursued with death threats - Jno. 10:30-39
-Mocked & murdered - Matt. 27:23-31
-We must bear His reproach - Heb. 13:13; 1 Pet. 4:14, 16
VI. JESUS GAVE UP JUSTICE (Isa. 53:7-8; Acts 8:32-33).
-Before Sanhedrin - Matt. 26:59-68
-Before Herod - Lk. 23:10-11
-Before Pilate - Jno. 19:10-12
-On the cross - Lk. 23:33-38
-Christians willingly accept the injustices of men in order to be faithful to
Christ - 1 Tim. 4:10; 1 Pet. 2:20-21
V. JESUS GAVE UP HIS LIFE (Jno. 10:17-18).
-Voluntarily & obediently - Jno. 10:18; Phil. 2:8
-Christians give up their lives for & unto the Lord - Gal. 2:20; Rom. 12:1
1. We must value Christ more than everything & anything else, or we will not be
2. Matt. 22:37: Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart,
with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
3. Jesus gave all - Give all of yourself to Him - Now & always!