THE SABBATH DAY
1. 7th-day Adventist denom. one of fastest growing today. (Visit the Seventh-Day Adventist website for more information.)
2. Name suggestions two things central to their belief system:
a. The immiment advent (coming/appearance) of Jesus.
b. Observance of 7th day Sabbath as day of rest, worship, ministry.
3. It is this 2nd point we will examine - 1 Jno. 4:1; 1 Thess. 5:21-22.
I. DEFINITION OF SABBATH.
A. Root Meaning: To Cease, Desist (Vine, III:311).
1. The idea is not that of relaxation or refreshment, but cessation from activity (Ibid.).
2. Sabbath means rest, not seventh.
B. It Was Assigned To The Seventh Day Of The Week - Exo. 20:10; Deut. 5:13.
C. Sunday Is Not To Be Confused W/ The Sabbath Day - Mk. 16:1-2.
For the first three centuries of the Christian era the first day of the week was never confounded with the sabbath; the confusion of the Jewish and Christian institutions was due to declension from apostolic teaching. (Vine, III:312).
II. WHEN WAS SABBATH OBSERVANCE ESTABLISHED?
A. At Mount Sinai - Neh. 9:13-14.
1. Made known - (Hiphil) to make known, declare.
a. Exo. 16:25-30 - Wilderness: The Lord has given you the Sabbath - Test of Israels obedience (v. 28-29).
2. Exo. 20:8-11 - God spoke directly to Israel (20:1, 22).
3. Deut. 5:1-3, 12-15 - Repeated by Moses.
B. The Sabbath Was Not Given At Creation!
1. 7th-day Adventists assert this, but without Biblical proof.
2. Gen. 2:2 - God rested on the 7th day of creation - Not man!
3. Exo. 20:11 - God uses His day of rest from work of creation to illustrate the rest (Sabbath) He commanded Israel!
III. TO WHOM WAS THE SABBATH GIVEN?
A. To The Nation Of Israel - Exo. 31:13, 16-17; Deut. 5:2-3 (12-14).
B. Not To All Men (Gentiles) - Ezek. 20:9-12 (Eph. 2:11-12).
IV. WHY WAS ISRAEL GIVEN THE SABBATH?
A. It Was A Sign Between God & Israel - Exo. 31:13, 17.
1. Sign - a distinguishing mark, a token of agreement.
2. v. 13 - Of Israels faith in & relationship with the Creator.
3. v. 16 - Hence, it was a covenant (divine ordinance).
B. It Was A Memorial To Cause Israel To Remember How God Had Delivered Them Egyptian Bondage - Deut. 5:15.
V. HOW LONG WAS ISRAEL TO OBSERVE THE SABBATH?
A. Until The End Of Israels Obligation To The Law Of Moses - Exo. 31:13, 16-17.
1. v. 13 - Throughout your generations - (those living during a period) - Period of Israels history.
2. v. 16 - Perpetual - Everlasting, always, continuance existence.
3. v. 17 - Forever - Age-lasting.
4. A perpetual & forever covenant is age-lasting in nature:
a. Levitical priesthood (sons of Aaron) - Exo. 40:15.
-Yet, that priesthood ended w/ changing of law - Heb. 7:11-12.
-Therefore, what was forever had an end.
b. The age of the OT law has ended - Jer. 31:31-34; Heb. 8:13; 1:1-2.
5. Discharged from OT law (Rom. 7:6), done away (2 Cor. 3:14), blotted out (Col. 2:14), abolished (Eph. 2:15), no longer under it (Gal. 3:25).
VI. THE SABBATH IS NOT BINDING UPON ANY PERSON TODAY.
A. The Law Commanding It Is No Longer Binding - Col. 2:14-17.
B. The Gospel Of Christ Assigns A Different Day For Different Reasons:
1. First day of the week - Acts 20:6-7 (disciples came together).
2. Not as a day of rest from labor, but as a day of worship & spiritual work - cf. 1 Cor. 14:26; 16:2.
1. Gal. 5:2-4 - Debtor, severed, no grace. (Rom. 3:20 - No justification)
2. Heb. 4:9-11 - Now is the time to work - Heaven is the Christians Sabbath!