Titus 2:1-2, 6-8
1. Men have been given a role of LEADERSHIP by God: Gen. 3:16; 1 Cor. 11:3; Eph. 5:23.
2. When men shirk their God-given role, church, family, society, world suffers.
3. Titus 2:1-8 - Titus to exhort both genders & all ages (cf. 1 Tim. 5:1-20).
4. Men: We must take seriously the role given us by God - Answer (2 Cor. 5:10).
I. THE CHARACTER OF MEN - Titus 2:2.
A. Godly Attitudes Of Older Men:
1. Sober (temperate - ASV).
a. Basically, to abstain from those things which hinder vigilance or watchfulness. cf. Elders - 1 Tim. 3:2 (vigilant) - Acts 20:28-31.
b. Moderation, avoiding extremes (Phil.4:5).
c. Free from ungodly influences / substances, thereby keeping the mind alert & watchful - 1 Ths. 5:6-8 (In contrast to tendency of youthful excess).
d. Your experience, knowledge & wisdom, should cause a lifestyle of restraint & vigilance, not excess because you are older! (Lk. 21:34-36)
2. Reverent (grave, ASV - 1Tim. 3:8, deacons; 3:11, wives of elders & deacons).
a. Serious, dignified or respectable; Avoiding irreverence & not unduly excited into disrespectful conduct (cf. George Burns).
b. The word points to seriousness of purpose & to self-restraint in conduct (Moulton, Vine, II:173).
c. Its purpose & conduct: Titus 2:12-14 (Not an I'll live as I please attitude!)
3. Temperate (sober-minded, ASV (Titus 1:8 - elders).
a. Sensible, well-balanced in judgment, sound judgment; Mature judgment & proper restraint (self-control).
b. It controls the passions & properly directs them (cf. youth - 2 Tim. 2:22). To deal with all the temptations & trials age brings.
B. Godly Attitudes Of Younger Men - Titus 2:6-8.
1. Humility (willing to receive exhortation) - v. 6 (Rom. 12:3).
2. Sober-minded (self-restraint which controls the passions) - 2 Tim. 2:22.
II. THE CONDUCT OF GODLY MEN.
A. Godly Actions Of Older Men: Soundness In All Things - Titus 2:2.
1. Sound in faith (responsibility toward God).
a. In personal trust, confidence & dependence upon God - Heb. 13:5-8; 1 Jno. 5:4.
b. In faithfulness to continue to obey the gospel:
1) cf. Older men who abandon their faith / convictions.
2) 2 Tim. 4:7-8 - Keep the faith & be rewarded.
2. Sound in love (responsibility toward others).
a. Age mustn't diminish one's concern for others - 1 Cor. 13:7-8a.
b. Avoid an I must be served attitude.
c. Stay busy loving others - Will be a personal worker for Jesus!
3. Sound in patience (responsibility toward trials).
a. You must deal w/ trials of age (a weakening body, declining faculties, etc. - Eccl. 12:2-7).
b. Face this part of life w/ steadfastness - A cheerful acceptance of age, not cynicism & resentment - Jas. 1:2-4.
c. Your patient endurance can inspire & strengthen others to be patient - Heb. 6:11-12.
B. Godly Actions Of Younger Men: Be Example To All - Tit. 2:7-8.
1. Pattern of good works - (An impress of a die) - 1 Tim. 4:12.
2. Pattern in doctrine: Not influenced by error - v. 7; cf. 2 Tim. 2:2.
a. Integrity (not corrupt) - 1 Tim. 6:3; 2 Tim. 1:13 - Don't be enticed away from truth & integrity of the gospel! (2 Cor. 3:17; 2 Pet. 3:16)
b. Reverence - Respect, dignity.
3. Pattern in speech - cf. Tit. 1:10-11 (Eph. 4:29; 5:3-4; Jas. 3:2).
-Gives no occasion for those opposed to truth to speak against you.
1. Whether young or old, men are to lead spiritually, morally & doctrinally.
2. 1 Tim. 2:8 - Lift up holy hands - without wrath and disputing!