I. BEFIT THE SOUND DOCTRINE - Tit. 2:1.
-("Means to be conspicuous among a number, to be eminent, distinguished by a thing, hence, to be becoming, seemly, fit." - Vine, I:106)
A. Godliness & Good Works Are The Adornments Of The Christian Woman -1 Tim. 2:9-10; 1 Pet. 3:3-6 (Titus 2:10).
1. Your emphasis must be to adorn yourself (inner man) w/ meekness, quietness, purity (v. 2), subjection (v. 1) & good works (1 Tim. 2:10).
2. Older women: A demeanor of reverence - Tit. 2:3. "Deportment" - Whole composition - Prov. 31:25.
3. Younger women: Willingness to accept & grow in your God-given work - Tit. 2:4-5.
II. BE TEACHERS WHO STRENGTHEN OTHERS - 2:3.
A. By Exercising Self-Control - 2:3.
1. Not a slanderer (to falsely accuse).
2. Not drunken (do not turn to drink rather than worship in old age).
3. By your example you teach others!
B. Teachers Of That Which Is Good: (v. 3)
1. Hospitality - Often initiated by women!
2. Taking care of sick/elderly - Cook, clean, etc. - Acts 9:36, 39.
3. Teach children - 2 Tim. 1:5.
4. Older teach younger women - A source of learning, not ignorance!
III. STRENGTHEN THE CHURCH.
A. As You Live Godly & Teach Truth, The Church Grows - cf. Rom. 16:1-2.
1. Use the truth as you teach! - 1 Tim. 1:5; 3:15; cf. Tit. 2:1.
2. Godliness will not endure where the truth of the word is minimized!
B. Helpers Of Brethren - Rom. 12:13; cf. Rom. 16:2; 1 Tim. 5:10.
C. Your Godliness Helps The Church Obtain Qualified Leadership.
1. Without godly women, there would be no qualified elders - 1 Tim. 3:11.
2. Dignified, not slanderers, temperate & faithful in all things.
IV. STRENGTHEN THE FAMILY - Tit. 2:4-5.
-("In truth, the family is...often the main test of Christian virtue..." - Pulpit Comm.)
A. Love Your Husband & Children - v. 4.
1. "Loving toward" - Derived from PHILEO.
2. "To manifest some act or token of kindness or affection;...regard with affection, have affection for, to like, be fond of, delight...to cherish..."
B. Be Guardian Of The Home - 2:5.
1. "Keepers at home" - NOT: "Keep her at home!"
a. What is she to "guard" - Domicile? or the family?
b. Watching/keeping the home may extend beyond the domicile.
2. 1 Tim. 5:14 - Lit., "A house master" - Guide, management & direction of household affairs - Prv. 31:27 (v. 12ff).
3. Your main role is domestic - Must not be neglected if you take additional tasks (helping w/ family income, going back to school, etc.).
C. Be In Subjection To Husband - v. 5; Eph. 5:22.
V. STRENGTHEN THE WORLD - Tit. 2:5.
-(Examples & influence - 1 Tim. 5:14-15; Matt. 5:13-16)
When you reflect godliness in your life, everyone around you is benefited - And you will have heaven's approval!