Textual Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Matthew 5:17-20
The Righteousness of the Kingdom (1)
1. This section of the Sermon on the Mount sets forth the high standard of life demanded by the King of citizens of His kingdom (4:23).
2. Jesus is the fulfillment of the law, Matt. 5:17-18 (Rom. 10:4).
3. Two problems with the scribes & Pharisees, Matt. 5:19-20:
a. Thought righteousness was achieved through keeping the LOM (law keeping), Gal. 3:10-12 (Acts 13:39).
b. Hypocritical, self-righteous approach to righteousness (Matt. 23:23).
4. The righteousness of the kingdom: Living by faith with a pure heart (pure heart – pure life), 6:21; Rom. 1:17.
I. OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS MUST EXCEED THAT OF THE SCRIBES & PHARISEES, Matt. 5:20 (5:21-6:18).
A. External Action is not the Mark of Righteousness, 5:21-48.
1. Fails to satisfy the heart, 5:8; Lk. 16:15.
2. It is self-made (self-righteous), Lk.18:9-12.
3. It glorifies itself, not God (5:16).
4. Righteousness touches the disposition of the heart.
5. Christians mold their hearts in such a way that conduct is pure.
B. TAKE HEED: Inspect your Devotion of Heart to God, Matt. 6:1-18.
1. The motive of righteousness (6:1):
a. NOT to attract people’s attention & praise, 6:2, 5, 7, 16; cf. Jno. 12:42-43; Phil. 2:21.
b. To be seen, acknowledged & approved by God, Matt. 6:4, 6, 18.
2. Alms, prayer & fasting: Indication one’s relationship with the Father.
3. Our objective: To be perfect (complete) like our heavenly Father, Matt. 5:48.
II. WHY YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS MATTERS.
A. Blessings of the Kingdom, Matt. 5:3-12, 20. (You will be lost)
B. Your Influence in the World, Matt. 5:13-16. (To help save others)
C. God’s Glory, Matt. 5:16 (1 Pet. 2:11-12). (You affect how others think of & act toward God)
1. The gospel of the kingdom raises our sights to heavenly realms of character & conduct as it calls on us to follow the divine examples of holiness, service & love.
2. Part 2: The faith & fruit of the righteous ones (Matt. 6:19-7:27).