Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 36:1-9
Reverence for God
1. We live in a godless age. Same has been true for millennia, Psa. 36:1; Rom. 1:20-21; 3:18; 2 Tim. 3:1-5.
2. Christians are warned against being affected by culture, attitudes, values, relativism..., 2 Tim. 4:10 (1 Cor. 15:33).
3. Many have lost reverence for God, His holiness, His word.
4. Fear (phobos): "terror, dread, awe"; dread of displeasing God; a "falling down" before one who is superior (honor and homage, respect and deference). Profound respect mingled with awe; honor and adoration; godly fear, awe. 2 Cor. 5:11 ("terror", KJV); Matt. 10:28
a. Godly fear (aidos), Heb. 12:28. Idea related to shamefastness (1 Tim. 2:9). It is "the fear of doing a shameful thing" which will "always restrain a good man from an unworthy act." (Trench) [Caution before God.]
b. Reverence/Respect (entrepo), Heb. 12:9 (KJV, ASV): Idea of "self-valuation of inferiority" or shame, and sets forth an attitude of giving honor to, subjection.
5. Awe, honor and adoration that is given to God and all that attends Him, Psa. 111:9; Lev. 26:1-2.
I. WHY WE REVERENCE GOD.
A. Because God Created Us and Sustains Us, Rev. 4:8-11 (Psa. 8:3-4).
1. God is sovereign, absolute power, holiness, majesty.
2. We are His offspring, Acts 17:28-29.
3. That God would love/sacrifice for us is incredible, 1 Jno. 4:10.
B. Because God is Our Spiritual Father.
1. Born into the kingdom of God by faith, Jno. 3:3; Gal. 3:26-27.
2. Revere Him as children should…and "live", Heb. 12:9.
C. Because God is Our Savior, Master and Judge, Matt. 4:10.
1. Frightful, terrible thing to fall under His judgment, Heb. 10:30-31.
2. So, serve Him with reverence, Heb. 12:28-29.
II. WHERE WE SHOULD REVERENCE GOD.
A. Everywhere! The Presence of God Makes Every Place Holy Ground.
1. Wherever we are is holy ground…we are in the presence of God.
2. God's presence made Horeb holy ground, Exo. 3:5-6.
3. God's presence in the sanctuary...Reverenced, Lev. 26:1-2.
B. God Must Be Reverenced by His Temple, the Church, Acts 5:11.
1. Must not defile the local church by false doctrine, foul demeanor and foolish conduct, 1 Cor. 3:16-17.
2. Use our bodies with moral purity, 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
3. Reverence shapes our thinking, decisions, conduct, Heb. 12:28.
C. Example: Fear God in Our Assembled Worship, for we are on Holy Ground, Psa. 89:7.
1. We are in the presence of God, Jno. 4:23-24.
2. Demeanor in worship:
a. Cf. Funeral vs. worship service (respectful of the dead).
b. Cf. At a movie (quiet, limit distractions).
3. How are we acting as we worship God? Neh. 8:3, 5-6
a. Listen quietly, 8:3. (Avoid distractions that hinder reverence - loud disturbances, kids to rest rooms, distractions...).
b. Give God respect and honor, 8:5.
c. Participate properly and fervently, 8:6; 1 Cor. 14:40.
III. HOW WE REVERENCE GOD.
A. Submit Silently to Him, Hab. 2:20.
1. Live with a humble spirit, Titus 2:3; Jas. 4:10.
2. Submit to God in all things, Heb. 12:9 (Col. 3:17, 23); Psa. 111:10.
3. Do not act without God's authority, Lev. 10:1-3.
B. Live Holy Lives, 1 Pet. 1:15-17.
1. Obey God's word, Eccl. 12:13.
2. Turn to God's word and away from sin, Psa. 119:35-38.
3. Maintain shame toward sin and serve God with honor and piety, Heb. 12:28.
-Honorable (semnos), Phil. 4:8 (reverend, venerable, august).
1. We must wake up to righteousness and not sin, 1 Cor. 15:34.
2. We must be different from those who do not know God and do not fear Him.
3. We walk on holy ground - Our lives must reflect reverence for God.
4. If not, we will be consumed by God's wrath against sin, Heb. 12:29.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: March 3, 2015