THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST
1. This is not an Easter sermon it is a gospel sermon!
2. "By any measure, the resurrection of Jesus is the most radical of Christian doctrines" (Kenneth L. Woodward, Newsweek, 4/8/96:61).
3. For centuries the accuracy of the Bible record of the bodily resurrection of Jesus has been studied, debated, objected to & believed.
4. Mk. 16:4-7 (9, 12, 14) - The empty tomb & the appearances of the risen Christ are set forth in the NT as the two strands of evidence by which we are persuaded & in which we take comfort (Acts 1:3).
I. THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST:
A. Was Predicted (foretold) By The Old Testament Prophets - Psa. 16:8-11 (Acts 2:25-28; 29-32).
-Such a teaching meant the Christ would suffer & die - something unthinkable in the Jewish mind - Acts 17:2-3 (3:18); Matt. 16:21-22.
B. Was Promised By Jesus (Matt. 27:63) - Jno. 2:18-22; Matt. 16:21; Jno. 11:25.
C. Proclaimed (declared) The Deity Of Christ - Rom. 1:3-4 (Jno. 10:30-36).
-Phil. 2:5-11 - Knees bow, not to a dead man, but to the living Christ, our Lord!
II. HIS RESURRECTION:
A. Defeated Satan - Gen. 3:15; Acts 2:23-24.
1. Heb. 2:14-16 - The devil, who had the power of death, was defeated by Christ's death (and subsequent resurrection).
2. 2 Tim. 1:10 - He abolished death (Jno. 11:25-26).
B. Is The Foundation Of The Gospel - 1 Cor. 15:3-5.
-Without it, there is no "good news" - cf. Lk. 24:17-24.
C. Is The Basis Of Our Hope - 1 Cor. 15:12-19.
1. "The early Christians claimed that in the Risen Christ, the Glory of Yahweh was made manifest in a new and unexpected way. It revealed the dawn of a 'new creation' -- the church -- and a new hope, that 'in Christ' everyone could reliably expect his or her own resurrection from the dead." (Ibid., 70)
2. 1 Cor. 15:52-57 - Glorious expectation.
III. MEMORIALS TO THE RESURRECTION. (Not: "Easter
A. The Lord's Supper - Matt. 26:26-29.
1. Christ's promised participation with His disciples in the Supper implies His resurrection - Without it, He could not do so!
2. 1 Cor. 11:26 - Proclaim His death "till he come" (Can only "come" if He is now alive!).
B. The First Day Of The Week - Acts 20:7.
1. On it He was raised - Mk. 16:1-2, 9.
2. On it His exaltation was announced - Acts 2:32-33, 36.
3. On it His disciples gather to worship Him - Acts 20:7.
C. Water Baptism - Rom. 6:1-6.
1. v. 4 - Die to sin, raised to new life.
2. v. 5-6 - United with Christ in the likeness of His death & freed from the bondage of sin.
3. Col. 2:12 - To be baptized expresses a faith that God will raise you from your death in sin by the same power that raised Jesus from the dead!
4. How's your faith? Will you put it into action & be baptized?
1. Rom. 10:9-10 - One must believe that God raised Jesus from the dead in order to be saved.
2. That belief will lead to righteousness as we confess our faith & obey His commands.