1. Man's ability to remember is more than trained responses (cf. Pavlov's dogs).
2. Memories stir us to high & holy motives. With a knowledge of the past we avoid mistakes & maintain hope for the future - Lk. 17:32; Heb. 11: 38-12:1.
3. We must remember where we have been, what God has done & is doing for us, & we must remember the word of truth which establishes us in His mercies.
I. REMEMBER WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN - Deut. 29:1-9.
A. Israel Was To Remember:
1. Their slavery in Egypt - Deut. 15:15.
2. God's powerful redemption & continuing care - Deut. 7:18; 8:2.
3. Their rebellion - Deut. 9:7.
4. God's law (covenant) - Deut. 16:12; 24:18.
B. What About Forgetting What Is Behind? - Phil. 3:13.
1. Idea of not relying on the past to satisfy the present/future (Heb. 6:1).
2. Remembering our past state of sin causes humble obedience & diligence - Eph. 2:11-13; cf. 1 Tim. 1:12-16.
C. Remember Where You Have Been In Your Spiritual Life In Order To:
1. Repent & reform - Rev. 2:5.
2. Be thankful toward God - 1 Tim. 1:12.
3. Properly order our lives - Phil. 3:4-8.
4. Follow worthy examples of faith - Acts 20:31.
II. REMEMBER WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR YOU - Deut. 11:7.
A. Remember God's Great Love Toward Us In Christ - Rom. 5:8.
-The Lord's Supper helps us remember - 1 Cor. 11:23-25.
B. Remember That God Remembers Our Sins No More - Heb. 8:12; 10:17. (Oh, what release! Oh, what joy! Oh, what hope!)
C. Remember The Great Works Of God In Order To:
1. Be strengthen in personal faith - cf. Matt. 16:9 (Mk. 8:18).
2. Help us endure throughout life - 2 Tim. 2:8-13.
III. REMEMBER THE TRUTH OF GOD.
A. Israel Would Be Safe & Strong If They Remembered God's Covenant - Deut. 4:5-9 (Hos. 4:6).
B. We Can Remain Safe & Strong By Remembering The Truth Of The Gospel - 2 Pet. 1:12-15.
1. 2 Pet. 1:5-11 - It equips us for spiritual maturity.
2. 2 Pet. 1:16-21 - Our faith is not based on fables, but on rational proof - cf. Acts 1:3.
C. Remember The Words Of Christ - Jno. 15:20; 16:4; Lk. 24:6; Acts 20:35. (cf. Remember the apostles' doctrine - 2 Ths. 2:5.)
1. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
2. Those who remember the past are equipped to humbly obey God and live in His present & eternal blessings.