Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Titus 3:1-8
The Christian's Relation to Grace
1. Grace is Godís favor toward sinners; Undeserved, without merit, and abundant in Jesus Christ, 2 Tim. 1:9.
a. Jesus is the source of divine grace, Jno. 1:14, 16-17.
b. Justified freely by Godís grace through Christ, Rom. 3:24.
c. Saved by grace, through faith, Eph. 2:4-5.
2. Godís grace is greater than sin, Rom. 5:19-21.
a. The Law did not provide grace, it magnified guilt, Rom. 3:19-20.
b. The faith (gospel) provides grace, Rom. 3:23-24.
3. We honor the grace of God, and never ignore the danger of sin.
a. ďWe are all broken people desperately in need of Godís grace.Ē
(A subtle way of not challenging sin in our lives and in others.)
b. Yes, we were broken by sin. But, we are made whole in Christ (by grace, through faith).
c. Grace never minimizes sin. Grace overwhelms sin, through faith.
I. CHRISTIANS STAND IN GRACE, Rom. 5:1-2; 1 Pet. 5:12.
A. Grace is Accessed by Faith, Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 3:21-26.
1. Justified by grace (source is God), Rom. 3:24 (Eph. 1:6-7).
2. Justified by (the) faith (not the law), Gal. 2:16.
a. The faith (the gospel) produces personal faith, Rom. 1:16-17.
b. Personal faith includes obeying the gospel, Acts 10:34-35.
B. We Stand in Grace by Continuing to Live by Faith, Rom. 5:1-2; 6:14-16 (1-2).
1. Standing in grace is not ďin spite ofĒ sin; Forgiven of sin.
2. Live by faith: Believe and obey the word of faith, Rom. 10:8, 17.
3. Living by faith does not invalidate Godís grace, Gal. 2:20-21.
-The promise to Abraham was ďof faith that it might be according to grace,Ē Rom. 4:13-16. Faith magnifies Godís grace.
II. WE MUST CONTINUE IN GRACE, Acts 13:43.
A. By Humble Obedience to Christ, Jas. 4:5-7.
B. By Submissive Service to One Another, 1 Pet. 5:5-7.
C. By Not Continuing to Practice Sin, Rom. 6:1-2, 5-6.
1. Born of God; Practice righteousness, 1 Jno. 2:29-3:3.
2. Abide in God; do not practice sin, but righteousness, 1 Jno. 3:4-10; 1:6-7.
III. WE MUST GROW IN GRACE, 2 Pet. 3:18.
A. Increase in the Image and Favor of God. (Adam Clarke)
1. Grow in our knowledge of His word.
2. Love Jesus sincerely, Eph. 6:24.
3. Humbly remove sin from our lives, Jas. 4:5-8.
4. Serve God with reverence, Heb. 12:28.
5. Serve others with singleness of heart, 2 Cor. 8:1-2, 5, 9.
6. Worship God with thanksgiving, Col. 3:16.
IV. WE ARE TO BE STRONG (STRENGTHENED) IN GRACE, 2 Tim. 2:1.
A. By Teaching Others, 2 Tim. 2:2; Heb. 5:12.
B. By Enduring Hardships, 2 Tim. 2:3.
C. By Not becoming Entangled with the World, 2 Tim. 2:4.
D. By Living According to Truth (by the rules), 2 Tim. 2:5.
E. By Being Diligent to Labor for the Lord, 2 Tim. 2:6.
1. Grace does not prevent us from being tempted by sin; but, Godís grace gives us ways of escape when we are tempted to sin, 1 Cor. 10:13.
2. Godís grace justifies us, giving us sure hope that we are heirs of eternal life, Titus 3:7.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 5, 2017