Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 25:1-13
Ready When the Lord Shall Come
1. Readiness is something we value and depend on every day. We depend on the fire department, police department, weather service to warn us of dangerous weather.
2. This also reminds us we must prepare ourselves for these possibilities (fire, theft, weather). (Wise and foolish virgins, Matt. 25:1-4.)
3. The Son of Man is coming, Matt. 25:10-13. Do we expect others to prepare for us? Or, are we prepared for His return? The Lord expects each one to be prepared. Are you ready for His coming? (Matt. 25:13)
I. CHECKLIST TO GET READY FOR CHRIST’S RETURN.
A. Stop Idle Words, Matt. 12:33-37; Eph. 4:25, 29, 31 (evil speaking).
1. Idle: “Unprofitable” (Thayer), “of things from which no profit is derived, although they can and ought to be productive; as of fields, trees, gold and silver” (Ibid). “useless” (Strong’s)
-Gossip, backbiting, talebearing, slander, lies, etc.
2. Tongue restraint takes heart restraint, Matt. 12:35; Jas. 3:2,5,8,10.
B. Refuse the Works of the Flesh, Gal. 5:19-21 (Col. 3:5-8).
1. Be led by the Spirit, Gal. 5:18; Rom. 8:14.
2. Follow the revelation of truth He have given us, 1 Cor. 2:14-16.
C. My Conduct Toward My Family:
1. Treat my wife like Christ treats His church, Eph. 5:25-28.
a. The church will be presented to Himself on His return (5:27).
b. If I don’t love my wife like Christ loves His church, how shall I be received by Him? 1 Pet. 3:7
2. Treat my husband like the church is to treat Christ, Eph. 5:22-24.
a. Submit to his leadership like the church does to Christ, Titus 2:5 (Gen. 3:16).
b. Love him with friendly affection, not cold restraint, Titus 2:4.
3. Honor my parents, Eph. 6:1-3.
a. Under wrath for not doing so, Rom. 1:30; 2 Tim. 3:2, 4.
b. Care of widows (elderly family), 1 Tim. 5:8.
4. Rear my children in the Lord’s ways, Eph. 6:4.
-Teach them to honor you…to honor God (Eph. 6:2).
D. Become a Christian (be saved), Jno. 6:44-45; 8:23-24; Lk. 13:5; Rom. 10:9-10; Mk. 16:16. Be proactive, Acts 2:40-41.
E. Be a Faithful Member of Christ’s Church (His body), Eph. 1:22-23; 2:16-19, 21-22.
1. Love God with all I am, and my neighbor as myself, Mk. 12:29-30.
2. Set and maintain priorities, Matt. 6:33-34.
3. Meet my own responsibilities, Rom. 12:3-8 (Gal. 6:5).
4. Help spread the gospel, Acts 8:4 (2 Tim. 2:2).
5. Correct every sin in my life, Acts 8:19-24; 1 Jno. 1:9; Jas. 5:15-16
-Humbly submit to God, stop my sin, cleanse my heart, change my conduct, godly sorrow, Jas. 4:6-10.
1. The unprepared will not escape punishment when Christ returns, 1 Thess. 5:1-3; 2 Thess. 1:6-9.
2. The prepared will be received into glory, 1 Thess. 5:4-6; 2 Thess. 1:10.
3. Are you ready?
By: Joe R. Price
Posted October 2, 2019