REACTIONS TO TRUTH
1. John's life was one of faith, conviction, sacrifice, truth, & persuasion (11:2-15).
2. The reactions of people to John & Jesus continue to be seen today in Peoples reactions to the truth & to Christians.
I. REACTIONS TO JOHN - 11:16-19.
A. Some Saw Him As A Curiosity - 11:7-8.
1. cf. How many view Christians today - An oddity, out of place - 1 Pet. 2:9; 4:3-4.
B. Some Considered Him A Prophet - 11:9-11; cf. Lk. 7:29 (He was more than that).
1. 11:10 - Messiah's messenger; 11:14 - The prophesied Elijah (17:9-13).
C. Most Rejected Him - 11:16-18; Lk. 7:30.
1. Jno. 5:35 - Soon, the demanding nature of his message caused them to spurn him.
2. 11:19 - Also happened to Jesus (Jno. 6:66)
3. 2 Tim. 4:3-5 - Same true of anyone who will stand for truth -- come what may.
a. 2 Cor. 12:15 - What our attitude must be.
b. Gal. 4:16 - Even when others see us as their enemies.
D. Wisdom Is Justified (Vindicated) Of Her Children - v. 16-19.
1. Johns life reflected wisdom & harmony w/ his message (so did Jesus life).
2. Wisdom's children would have taken to heart John's message (and Jesus)!
3. Those who rejected John were rejecting divine wisdom - foolish! (1 Cor. 1:21, 25).
II. REACTIONS TO JESUS - 11:20-24.
A. His Works Were Rejected - cf. Jno. 10:37-39.
1. They bore sufficient testimony that people could have & should have believed - Acts 2:22
2. Upbraided for rejecting - Their rejection was unjustifiable! Reproached for it!
B. The Importance Of Repentance - v. 20.
1. A change of mind - Change of life.
2. Tyre & Sidon (Ezek. 26-28); Sodom (Gen. 19).
3. When we repent, God expects us to cease the sin & do what is right:
a. Lk. 3:8-14 - Fruit worthy of repentance
b. Acts 26:20 - Doing works worthy - cf. Rev. 9:20-21.
c. Cf. use of 1 Cor. 7:24 re. unscriptural remarriages: To be consist, must allow homosexuals to marry! - cf. Matt. 11:23
C. The Day Of Judgment - v. 22, 24.
1. Refusal to repent in the face of overwhelming evidence of truth - "WOE!"
2. Cf. 2 Pet. 2:6 - Ungodly living - cf. Refusal to repent!
3. Not that these cities were less wicked - Latter had greater opportunities! - Lk. 12:47-48.
III. THE LORD'S INVITATION TO COME - 11:25-30.
A. God's Plan: His Truth Is Revealed To The Humble In Heart - v. 25-27.
1. v. 25 - Arrogance and conceit blind men to truth (Matt. 13:11-13); Jno. 9:39-41.
a. cf. 11:17-19 - Though claiming wisdom, the opponents of John & Jesus were arrogant fools!
b. Truth is thus hidden from them.
2. v. 27 - The power by which Jesus worked (v. 20, 21, 23) showed Him to be the Son of God - Having the Father's approval.
B. The Humble Are Blessed With:
1. Knowledge - v. 25; cf. Jno. 7:17.
2. Rest from sin - v. 28; cf. Jas. 4:6-10.
3. Discipleship - v. 29-30; cf. 1 Jno. 3:1.
1. There is no wisdom in rejecting the truth that Jesus is Christ or that He can save you from your sins.
2. Rest from sin awaits - Will you come?