QUESTIONS OF LIFE
1. A 1994 tour of a newly built LDS temple - Introductory video posed questions which the LDS believe their temples & doctrines answer.
a. "Where did I come from?"
b. "Why am I here?"
c. "Where am I going?"
2. Most have contemplated these questions. They are significant questions which deserve -- and have -- Bible answers.
I. WHERE DID I COME FROM? (cf. Jesus, Jno. 8:14)
-(LDS explanation: Spirit children in pre-mortal existence.)
A. The Mind & Will Of God - Gen. 1:26.
B. Origin Of Mankind: Creative Act Of God - Gen. 1:1, 26-27; 2:7 (cf. Job 33:4).
1. In the image of God: What is God like? (Gen. 5:1)
a. Spirit - Jno. 4:24 (not a physical likeness).
b. Intellect, will, emotions, volition, conscience, etc.
c. Inner man / Immortal part of man - Zech. 12:1.
2. Dust of the ground - Outer man - cf. 3:19.
3. God has created us as dual beings - Eccl. 12:7.
C. This Creative Act Should Produce:
1. Humility before God - Psa. 8:3-4. (Acknowledge to Him.)
2. Submission to God - Psa. 33:8-9. (Obey Him.)
3. Honor of God - Psa. 148:5. (Worship Him.)
II. WHY AM I HERE? (cf. Jesus, Jno. 8:23-30).
-(LDS: Time of probation to progress to celestial kingdom.)
A. To Seek After God - Acts 17:27-28.
1. Gen. 2-3 - Man's highest purpose / motive was to walk with God (cf. 3:8; 2:15). Requires man to:
a. Hear His voice (word) - cf. in the garden.
b. Reverence God & obey God - Gen. 2:16-17; Eccl. 12:13.
c. Necessitates repentance - Acts 17:30.
2. This is equally our purpose in life - Jas. 4:15.
3. Results in communion with God - 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
B. To Have Dominion Over God's Creation (Earth) - Gen. 1:26-30.
1. Responsible & supremacy & rule of human race over the earth.
2. v. 28 - Subdue - Given power to utilize for his necessities the vast resources of the earth (agriculture., mining, water, air, animals, etc.). (Indeed, with wisdom & prudence).
3. Psa. 8:4-9 - "Lyric echo of this original sovereignty."
-Note that God is over man, therefore man's rule will be brought into judgment (Eccl. 12:14).
III. WHERE AM I GOING? (cf. Jesus - Jno. 10:17-18)
-(LDS: Three-tiered kingdom; celestial kingdom with families forever).
A. The Body Will Die - Heb. 9:27.
1. Jas. 2:26; Eccl. 12:7 - Separation of body & spirit.
2. Lk. 16:22 - Spirit continues existence, body buried.
B. From There, Where I Go Depends Upon How I Have Lived While On Earth (Rom. 2:6, 11).
1. Comfort or torment - Lk. 16:23-26.
2. Resurrection of body - Job 14:14; Jno. 5:28-29.
3. Judgment day: Formal declaration / Vindication of God, His people & His truth & purposes - 2 Ths. 1:6-10.
a. Resurrection of life (5:29) - If good - Rom. 2:7, 10.
b. Resurrection of condemnation (5:29) - If evil - Rom. 2:8-9.
4. With pronouncement of judgment, eternal destination:
a. Hell - Matt. 25:41, 46 (5:29).
b. Heaven - Matt. 25:34, 46; 2 Cor. 5:1.
C. Your Future Depends On You! - cf. 1 Ths. 4:13
1. Christian's future is hope & glory!
2. Future of the unsaved is dark, ominous & fearful!
1. We do not need to be doubtful about our purpose in life or what will happen in death - Eccl. 12:13.
2. Live for God now, & live with Him forever!