Topical Studies Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Matthew 21:23-27
BIBLE QUESTION BOX
1. We always need to ask if heaven approves of what we believe & practice in life – Matt. 21:23-27.
2. God, by His power, has given us all things that pertain to life & godliness – 2 Pet. 1:3.
3. Is it from heaven or men?
#1: I know that churches can send support to preachers at other locations and can give support to those who come to preach (such as a Gospel Meeting). Why can’t we send or support missionary trips to other places (like Brazil or Haiti, etc.) or can we? If not, why not?
1. NT pattern for churches supporting preachers:
a. A church may support a preacher locally – 1 Cor. 9:14-15.
b. A church may send $ to preachers in other locations – Phil. 4:10, 14-18; 2 Cor. 11:8.
c. A church may “send or support missionary trips to other places” – Acts 11:19-23; 13:1-3; 15:22-27.
2. Entirely right for a church to send men to other places to preach.
3. The collected funds of a church are for its authorized work done locally &/or in other places – 1 Cor. 16:1-4.
#2: In John 21:20, who was the disciple that Jesus loved? I assume there’s an explanation for the way this is worded (as He loved them all)...if so, could you provide it?
1. John’s common description of himself – Jno. 13:23-25; 19:26; 20:2; 21:7, 20.
a. Yes, Jesus loved all His apostles – Jno. 13:1.
b. John was in a position of intimacy & honor here – Jno. 13:23.
c. Description suggests closeness in their relationship (cf. the assessment of His love for Lazarus – Jno. 11:35-36).
2. How we know “the disciple whom Jesus loved” is John – Jno. 21:20-24; 19:26, 35.
a. Author of the book of John – Jno. 2:20-24.
b. Witness to & recorder of the death of Jesus – Jno. 19:35 (26).
#3: What does the Bible say about organ donation?
1. Nothing directly stated in the Bible about organ donation.
a. Conclusion is implied from what is said about the body, life & death.
b. Rom. 14:1-5 properly applies here.
2. The body returns to dust at death – Gen. 3:19 (Eccl.12:7); Jas. 2:26.
a. While OT law pronounced defilement upon touching a dead body (purification, Num. 19:11-13), that has no pertinent application now.
b. Identity does not remain with the flesh, but the spirit – Lk. 16:22.
c. Bodily resurrection is not dependent upon burying an intact body (it decays!) – 1 Cor. 15:42.
* d. Organ donation does not change a person’s identity nor hinder his bodily resurrection.
3. Principle of doing good to all men applies – Gal. 6:10; Matt. 7:12; 22:39.
a. Many kidneys are given by living donors to save lives – good thing!
b. The choice whether to do so is left with each individual.
c. Rom. 14:5, 23 – Be fully assured, or do not do it.
#4: It was told to me that Abraham once worshiped the “MOON GOD” prior to worship of The Living God. Do you find this to be true?
1. Widespread worship of Moon god (Sin), Sun god (Shamash) & the planet Venus (Ishtar) in Ur during time of Abraham.
2. No Biblical basis for concluding that Abraham himself worshiped the moon god before Jehovah.
a. Josh. 24:2, 14 – Terah (Abraham’s father) served other gods, but nothing about which gods were involved.
b. Acts 7:2-3 – God appeared to & spoke to Abram in Mesopotamia (Heb. 11:8).
3. Nothing in the Bible says Abraham was once an idolater.
The gospel calls all people to turn from vain idols to serve the living God & to faithfully continue to do so until Jesus returns – delivered from wrath! – 1 Ths. 1:8-10