Textual SermonsText: Psalm 61 GOD'S PROTECTION OF HIS PEOPLE
Intro.1. Where do you turn in times of trouble? (To someone who cares, understands, helps).
a. Brethren: One source of strength in times of trouble - Gal. 6:2; Phil. 2:4.
b. God: Supreme strength of the saint - Heb. 13:6; 1 Pet. 5:7; 2 Tim. 4:16-17; 2 Cor. 12:7-9.
2. 2 Cor. 11:23-30 - We all must deal w/ troubles in this life -- How we do so tests & reveals our faith in God!
3. Psalms 61: Confidence in God's protection ("Prayer of thanksgiving of an expelled king on his way back to the throne" - Absalom.)
4. Psa. 61 - Why we can trust God's protection.
I. GOD'S PROTECTION OF HIS PEOPLE - v. 1-7.
A. Prayer - v. 1-2.
1. "Hear My Cry, O God" - v. 1.
a. Shrill, piercing cry - Lament/petition (Lk. 22:44; 2 Cor. 12:8).
b. "Attend" - Hear and answer it.
2. God hears & answers his peoples' cries - Jno. 9:31; Matt. 7:7-11; Lk. 18:1-8.
a. v. 2 - Wherever we are.
b. v. 2 - Whenever our heart faints.
c. v. 2 - God is our refuge - 62:1-2, 6-8; 2 Cor. 12:9 (God's grace sufficient!).
3. Pray in times of trouble! - Heb. 4:16; 1 Jno. 5:14-15; 3:22 - With boldness! - (3:22 - Because we obey Him & do His will!)
B. Refuge & Strength In Trouble - v. 3.
1. He has been our refuge in the past:
a. Against sin - Jno. 3:16; Eph. 2:1-5.
b. Against temptations - Eph. 6:10-11.
c. Against every enemy - Phil. 4:4-7.
2. Trust Him in the present (fortress - v. 3).
C. Divine Fellowship - v. 4.
1. God's tabernacle (Church - 1 Tim. 3:15).
2. Eph. 2:6 - Heavenly places!
3. 1 Jno. 1:7 - Cleansing communion!
4. v. 4 - Cf. birds protecting its young - Matt. 23:37.
D. Spiritual Blessings - v. 5; Eph. 1:3.
1. Heritage - Inheritance of those who fear God - Eph. 1:11; Acts 10:34-35; Eccl. 12:13.
2. Our vow (conversion) & God's blessings compel us to seek His care!
E. God's Mercy & Truth - v. 6-7; Psa. 40:11-13.
1. Jas. 5:11 - God has pity toward our distresses.
2. Psa. 119:25-32 - Truth strengthens us in sorrow & trials - When we obey it!
3. God offers forgiveness, guidance, strength, comfort, etc. if we will trust His mercy & obey His word!
II. RESPONDING TO THE PROTECTION WHICH GOD PROVIDES US - v. 8.
A. Accept It!
1. Trouble of sin: Obey gospel / Be restored to faithfulness.
2. Trouble of doubt: Rom. 10:17.
3. Trouble of temptation: 1 Cor. 10:13.
4. Trouble of worry: Phil. 4:6-7.
5. Go to God for the help only He can give!
B. Praise God For His Protection - v. 8.
1. Thank God for His deliverance - Phil. 4:4.
2. Worship grows out of thanksgiving!
C. Obey God Every Day - v. 8.
1. Obeying God accesses His protection!
2. Matt. 11:28-30 - Come to Christ for rest by putting on His yoke (Lk. 9:23).
3. Live by faith - 2 Cor. 5:7.
1. God's protection in times of trouble are available to all men.
a. Become a Christian & be faithful to Christ!
b. Christians live in God's protective hand! (Jno. 10:27-29)
2. Don't take Gods protection for granted: Live in daily obedience & praise of our powerful God!