Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 5:1-6
Rejoice, All Who Trust in the Lord
1. Jesus taught disciples not to lose heart (faint) in prayer (Lk. 18:1).
2. Like Paul, our requests should be made ďwith all joy,Ē Phil. 1:4 (4:6).
3. Psalm 5: A morning prayer David offered to God.
a. Reminds us of Christís morning prayers, Mk. 1:35.
b. David and Jesus trusted in the Lord and were blessed, Psa. 5:11-12.
4. Like David, those who trust in the LordÖ
I. PRAY IN THE MORNING, 5:1-3. (a morning prayer)
A. Christians Dedicate Ourselves to Prayer, 1 Thess. 5:17.
1. Prayer is directed to God: It is solemn, reverential, and intentional, Matt. 6:9. cf. David asked God to listen, 5:1-2.
2. David trusted he would be heard because of his faith in Jehovah as his King and his God (2). We trust God hears us because we call on Him as our Father according to His will, Matt. 7:7-11; 1 Jno. 5:14-15. (Our prayers heard and answered as we honor God as King and submit to Him as Holy God.)
B. Davidí Morning Prayer. Prayed early/depended on God, Matt. 6:11.
1. Morning prayer suggests urgency in prayer, Lk. 11:5-8 (persistence, ďobstinate continuanceĒ).
2. Morning prayer suggests regularity in prayer (Dan. 6:10).
-Let us set a pattern (habit) of consistent prayer in our lives.
3. Morning prayer suggests thoughtful focus in prayer (meditation, 5:1, not vain repetitions, Matt. 6:7. (Focuses us for the day.)
II. DO NOT TAKE PLEASURE IN WICKEDNESS, 5:4-6.
(a warning to the wicked)
A. We Can Pray Confidently When We Shun Wickedness, Heb. 4:16.
2. God abhors workers of iniquity and their sin, and He does not receive their prayers, cf. Jno. 9:31; 1 Pet. 3:12.
2. So, our prayers must recognize Godís holiness and come before Him without harboring sin, 1 Tim. 2:8.
3. Israelís corrupt offerings prevented Godís favor, Mal. 1:7-8, 9-11.
4. Vain worship prevents Godís pleasure, Matt. 15:8-9 (Jas. 1:5-8).
5. Husband not honoring his wife hinders his prayers, 1 Pet. 3:7.
III. ARE PROPERLY MOTIVATED TO APPROACH GOD IN WORSHIP, 5:7-8. (a renewed prayer in godís house) 2 Sam. 12:20 (tabernacle)
A. The Church is Godís Holy Temple, Eph. 2:21-22; 1 Pet. 2:4-5.
1. Godís dwelling with His people. Must come into Godís house (church) to obtain His favor, Eph. 1:3 (Acts 2:47).
2. In Godís house is found:
a. Godís mercy (7), Acts 3:19.
b. Reverent worship (7), 1 Cor. 14:33, 40.
c. Godís righteousness and ways (8), Psa. 23:3; Matt. 7:13-14.
-Godís way (path for David to follow)
IV. ESCAPE THE GUILT AND PUNISHMENT OF THE WICKED, 5:9-10.
(a pronouncement of woe on the wicked)
A. The Faithful are Distinguished from the Wicked, 5:9.
1. The unfaithful bring destruction upon themselves, Ezek. 18:20.
2. All have sinned Ė we bear our own guilt, Rom. 3:9-19, 23.
B. Our Escape is Through Faith in Christ, Rom. 3:20-24.
V. ARE BLESSED BY THE LORD WITH HIS PROTECTION, 5:11-12. (anticipated blessings and favors for the righteous)
A. Trust God and Rejoice because God Protects Us, Rom. 8:31-32.
B. Love Godís Name and be Surrounded by His Shield, Eph. 6:10-13.
1. His honor, character and authority, Col. 3:17.
2. Fellowship with God secures us, 1 Jno. 1:6-7; 2:3-6 (Matt. 7:24-25).
1. Trust in God (faith) and do not be distracted (Matt. 6:25-34).
2. Prayer is a great fortress for the soul, Phil. 4:6-7.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 13, 2019