Psalm 19: GOD'S PERFECT REVELATION
1. Many have said it their hearts, "there is no God" -- Fools! (Psa. 14:1)
2. God has manifestly & perfectly revealed Himself to man: Both His Person & His Purposes; both His Presence & His Principles; both His Splendor & His Statutes.
3. Psalm 19 sets forth the complete, perfect nature of God's revelation of Himself (19:1-9) as well as man's utter dependency upon God for direction in life redemption from sin (19:10-14).
I. THE REVELATION OF GOD'S GLORY AND POWER - Psa. 19:1-6.
A. The Heavens Declare:
1. The glory of God (His grandeur, splendor, eminence) - Rev. 4:9-11.
2. The power of God (creative work) - Rom. 1:20.
3. The righteousness of God - Psa. 50:6 (33:5).
B. This Has Been Described As "General Revelation" From God - Acts 14:15-17.
1. The presence of the universe demands a Creator - Acts 17:24.
2. The presence of order demands a Designer (Psa. 19:4-6).
3. Heavens & earth speak forth a decree of God's presence, power & glory - Psa. 19:2-4 (v. 4; cf. Rom. 10:18).
4. It is inexcusable & foolish to dismiss their voice! - Rom. 1:20-23.
II. THE REVELATION OF GOD'S MIND -Psa. 19:7-9.
A. Only Through The "Special Revelation" Of God's Mind To Us Can We Know What God Expects Of Us - cf. 1 Cor. 2:11 (Gen. 2:15-17).
1. Matt. 4:4 - We have (spiritual) life through the word of God!
2. 2 Tim. 3:16-17 - Inspired scriptures accomplish this revelation of God's mind, will, purposes & expectations of man toward Him.
3. 2 Tim. 2:15 - Therefore, we study His word to be approved before Him!
B. Respect For God Is Seen In How Or Whether We Respect His Word - Psa. 19:7-9.
1. Law - The standard (rule) we must submit to (Matt. 28:18; 17:5; Col. 3:17). It is upright & whole (perfect), converting the soul.
2. Testimony - Pronouncements (declarations, attestations) of God are certain (cf. Psa. 110:4) & give wisdom to the simple.
3. Statutes - Precepts, appointments of God are right (fitting, proper, straight, upright) & rejoice the heart of the upright - Jno. 3:19-21.
4. Commandments (directives) are pure - Light our way - Psa. 119:105.
5. Fear (reverence) of God proceeds from hearing His word, which is altogether holy - Exo. 3:4-6; Psa. 119:38.
6. Judgments (ordinances, measurements) are completely true (established, faithful) & righteous (upright) - "thus saith the Lord!" - Jno. 12:48-50.
III. MAN'S PROPER RESPONSE TO GOD'S REVELATION - Psa. 19:10-14.
A. Desire God's Words - 19:10.
-Value them, treasure them, honor them - Psa. 119:127.
B. Accept The Warnings Of God's Word - 19:11.
C. Obey Them & Be Rewarded - 19:11; Heb. 5:8-9.
D. Use Them To Be Saved From Sin - 19:12-13 (cf. 2 Tim. 3:16; Jno. 8:31-32; Rom. 1:16-17).
1. 19:12 - God's word can cleanse us from sins which are concealed to others. We know our errors as God's word teaches us of them - Heb. 4:12-13.
2. 19:13 - God's word can guard us against & restrain us from self-willed sins. (i.e., rebellion - Deut. 1:43)
3. 19:13 - When God's word rules over us, sin will not!
E. Our Words & Thoughts Must Agree With God's Perfect Revelation - 19:14; Psa. 55:15.
1. Our words & thoughts will only be acceptable if they agree with divine truth! (cf. Acts 26:9)
2. Therein we find divine acceptance (2 Tim. 2:15).
3. Therein we are redeemed (cf. Psa. 31:5).
1. If you acknowledge God's general revelation of His presence, power & glory then you must submit to & obey His special revelation of His will for your life.
2. Obey His word now.