Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 101:1-4
1. Psalm 101: The king’s vow to rule his house and his kingdom with mercy and justice. cf. 2 Sam 8:15; Prov 20:28; Jer 23:5-6
2. While you and I will never rule a kingdom, we must have similar determination and faith in our roles and responsibilities of life.
3. King David makes a series of affirmative declarations based on His faith that God is a God of both mercy and justice (101:1).
4. The king’s faith is seen in a series of “I will” statements. In these declarations we see God’s attitude and actions both toward the faithful and the wicked.
I. I WILL SING PRAISES, 101:1.
A. The Importance of Worship in Our Lives.
1. The church is a “house of prayer”, Isa 56:7; Psa 84:4.
2. Christians are to continually praise God; consistent with our calling and with dwelling in His house (cf. 1 Ths 5:17; Jas 5:13).
B. The Content and the Character of Our Singing is Crucial, 101:1.
1. The fruit of our lips, Heb 13:15.
2. With the spirit, 1 Cor 14:15.
3. Speaking to one another…making melody in your heart to the Lord, Eph 5:19 (to celebrate the praises of God in song).
4. Reflection of Christ’s word in our hearts, Col 3:16.
II. I WILL BEHAVE WISELY, 101:2.
A. Be Wise in what is Good, Rom 16:19.
1. As a parent: Wisdom to teach, correct, nurture, advise… Eph 6:4.
2. As a spouse: To love, serve and respect, Eph 5:33.
3. As elders: To feed, lead and protect flock, cf. Prov 27:23.
4. Concerning my influence: Careful to protect it and use it, Col 4:5.
5. Concerning my adversaries: Advance truth, not self, Matt 10:16-22.
III. I WILL SET NOTHING WICKED BEFORE MY EYES, 101:3-4.
A. Protect Ourselves Against Lust and its Associated Sins.
1. Job knew the danger and the judgment, Job 31:1-4, 5-12.
2. Turn away from looking at worthless things, Psa 119:37.
a. False gods (Col 3:5).
b. Women to lust after, Matt 5:28.
c. Sins of the world are not entertainment for the righteous! Eph 5:3-4 (Pornography, lewd behavior, coarse humor, etc.)
d. Alcoholic beverages, Prov 23:31-34.
3. Guard the meditations of our heart, Psa 19:14.
IV. I WILL NOT ENDURE SLANDER AND PRIDE, 101:5, 7-8.
A. Slander Proceeds from Pride and Hatred, 101:5; cf. Jas 4:11; Prov 10:18.
1. Slander: whispering, defamation, evil report.
2. Deceitful, and those who slander and spread it do not live in God’s house, Psa 101:7; 15:3.
3. The king would/will destroy such evildoers.
V. I WILL BLESS THE FAITHFUL, 101:6.
A. We Must Stand with and Encourage those who are Faithful to the Lord.
1. Those that serve the Lord deserve our commendation and help, 101:6; cf. Phil 2:20, 29-30.
2. Those who are struggling need our assistance, Heb 12:12-13.
B. Faithful Servants Dwell with the King, 101:6; Matt 25:34-40.
1. A servant that cannot be trusted to carry out the king’s wishes will not stand before the king for very long!
2. Likewise, we must hear and heed our King. Lk 6:46
1. God in His mercy forgives us when we return with repentant hearts to renew our lives of faithful obedience to Him.
2. God in His justice refuses to ignore sin and will punish everyone who chooses to live irreverently and selfishly in sin.