Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Galatians 1:1-5
This Present Evil Age
1. Jesus sacrificed Himself to rescue us from this “present evil age,” Gal. 1:4.
2. The “present age” is this life in this present world, in contrast with the age to come, Mk. 10:30 (Lk. 18:30).
3. World is used to translate two different Greek words in the NT:
a. kosmos: The system of evil in opposition to God; the dominion of Satan, 1 Jno. 2:15.
b. aiōn: Period of time, the spiritual and/or moral traits of an age.
4. “Aion is always to be distinguished from kosmos, even where the two seem to express the same idea” (Vine, II:685).
a. 1 Cor. 3:18-19: The wisdom of this age (18) is defined by things that oppose God (19, world).
b. Eph. 2:2: lit., “the age of this world” – The course of life that is lived in opposition to God (worldly in this present age).
I. THIS PRESENT EVIL AGE (WORLD), Gal. 1:4.
A. Satan is Its God, 2 Cor. 4:3. (Rom. 6:16)
-Our fight is against him and his forces, “the rulers of the darkness of this age” – The powers that be in this present, evil world, Eph. 6:11-12.
Shrewdness of the Sons of this Age, Lk. 16:8
-Must be wise as serpents and harmless as doves (Matt. 10:16).
-Application: In how they promote and spread evil, assimilating and integrating the naïve into their evil grip – [cf. LGBTQ agenda].
1. Sons of this present age redefine sin to accommodate self, pleasure and personal comfort, Isa. 5:20. (cf. this influence on God’s people, Amos 6:1).
2. Sons of this present age preach tolerance and diversity for the sake of peace, Jer. 6:14. (cf. this influence on God’s people, Jer. 6:16; Zeph. 1:12)
a. Our standards of acceptance gradually shift (cf. divorce, adultery, soft porn, immodest clothing, alcohol, etc.).
b. Militancy for truth and righteousness wanes, even evil-spoken of by Christians (2 Cor. 11:2-4). Gal. 4:16
3. Sons of this present age preach circumstances (situations) over moral accountability, and liberty over conviction, 2 Pet. 2:18-19.
-Debate and dispute, but never come to knowledge of the truth, cf. 1 Cor. 1:18-25 (Acts 17:21; 2 Tim. 3:7).
4. Finally, such compromise accepts and embraces evil, falling away from God, 2 Tim. 4:10 (Demas loved this present age), 2 Pet. 2:19-20.
II. HOW WE MUST LIVE IN THIS PRESENT, EVIL WORLD TO RESIST AND OVERCOME ITS EVIL, Titus 2:11-12.
A. Deny Ungodliness and Worldly Lusts, 1 Jno. 2:15-17; 1 Pet. 4:1-6.
B. Live Soberly, Righteously and Godly.
1. Soberly: With moderation and discretion, controlled by truth, not passions of the flesh, Tit. 2:2 (temperate), Tit. 2:5 (discreet).
2. Righteously: With justice, fairness and equity toward others; character that is upright, loving neighbor as self, Rom. 13:8-10.
3. Godly: Godward, pious, 2 Tim. 2:22.
C. Do Not Assimilate to This World (Age), But be Transformed in Mind to Do the Will of God, Rom. 12:2.
1. By renewing (renovating) our minds (thinking), cf. Eph. 4:17-24.
2. Our thoughts, motives, and actions must be shaped by divine truth, not the times in which we live. cf. Jno. 18:38 with Jno. 17:17
3. The cares (distractions) of this world must not be allowed to choke out God’s word from our hearts, Mk. 4:19 (Matt. 6:25-34); 1 Tim. 6:17-19.
D. Seek and Follow the Wisdom of God (His Word) Instead of the Wisdom of this Age and Its Rulers, 1 Cor. 2:6-9 (1:20-21); 3:18.
E. Put on the Whole Armor of God, and Fight! Eph. 6:10-17 (2 Cor. 10:3-5)
1. This present evil age intends to destroy faith, not build you up in your “most holy faith,” so preserve yourselves in love and look for the mercy of the Lord unto eternal life (not the life of this age that is passing away), Jude 20-21.
2. Do the will of God from a heart of faith, not the evil of this age from an evil heart of unbelief, Rom. 12:2 (Heb. 3:12).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted May 29, 2019