Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 1:9-11
This Present Evil Age
1. Every age since manís fall has had its share of evil, Gen. 6:5-6.
2. Christians are not immune to the evils around us. cf. Israel in the wilderness; the nations around them, Judges 2:10-13.
3. NT warns of this present evil age:
a. Rom. 1:18-32 describes the Gentile worldís religious chaos and moral corruption.
b. Rom. 2:17-29 depicts the Jewish guilt of sin and its contribution to Gentiles blaspheming God (23-24).
4. Jesus is our lifeline and salvation from evil age, Gal. 1:4.
5. Christians lead people out of this present evil age, not into it.
I. WE MUST FIGHT AGAINST ITS DARKNESS, Eph. 6:12.
A. Arm Yourself with Truth and Its Protection, Eph. 6:17 (11-17).
1. It will be Godís word, not your feelings that defeats evil!
2. Godís people destroyed for lack of knowledge, Jer. 4:22.
a. Inform yourself (to strengthen your faith and to know your enemy).
b. Involve yourself: Engage the enemies with Godís weapons, 2 Cor. 10:3-5. (Parents and schools)
B. Live in the Light, 1 Thess. 5:4-8; Eph. 5:8-13.
II. WE MUST NOT BE CONFORMED TO IT, Rom. 12:1-2.
A. If Allowed, the Forces of this Age Will Infiltrate our Minds and Blind Us to the Gospel, 2 Cor. 4:3-4.
1. Conformed (fashioned): Present passive imperative Ė Stop being fashioned, or do not have the habit of being fashioned by the world.
a. Past time in sin is enough, 1 Pet. 4:1-3 (Eph. 2:2).
b. Evil company corrupts good habits, 1 Cor. 15:33.
c. No fellowship with, Eph. 5:11.
2. cf. Social media, music, entertainment, etc.
B. The Cares of this Age Must Not Choke Out Godís Word,Mk. 4:18-19.
III. WE MUST NOT BE DECEIVED BY THE WISDOM OF THIS PRESENT AGE, 1 Cor. 1:20; 2:6; 3:18. (Cultural revolution)
A. The Present Evil Age Redefines:
1. God out of existence (Rom. 1:22-23).
2. Truth into moral relativism (Rom. 1:24-25).
3. Gender into changeable identity (fluidity) (Rom. 1:26-27).
4. Gender roles (of male/female, husband/wife) (Rom. 1:26-27).
B. The Present Evil Age Honors Science as Truth, 1 Tim. 6:20-21.
1. Science is manís knowledge. Therefore, while helpful, it is limited and fallible.
2. Present evil age has elevated science to ďtruth,Ē and has become secularismís dogma.
a. Evolution (man) v. creation (God), Gen. 1; Psa. 19:1.
b. Climate change (man) v. Godís assurances, Gen. 8:22.
1) Earth will not be moved by human means, Psa. 104:5.
2) Earth responds to Godís purposes, Psa. 104:10, 14, 19-20, 31-32.
C. The Truth of God Prevails Over the Present Evil Age, Matt. 24:35 (cf. Isa. 46:10-11); Jno. 8:31-32; 17:17 (1 Pet. 1:25).
IV. WHAT SHALL THE RIGHTEOUS DO? Psa. 11:3 (4)
A. Wake Up, Rom. 13:11; Eph. 5:14; 1 Cor. 15:34.
B. Clean Up, Rom. 13:12-13; Titus 2:12.
C. Grow Up, Rom. 13:14.
1. Put our faith in God, not people; in Godís truth, not human lies and false imaginations; in Godís kingdom (rule), not the kingdoms (rule) of this earth.
2. Nothing new under the sun (Eccl. 1:9-11). Therefore, fear God and keep His commandments (Eccl. 12:13).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted March 16, 2021