Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Timothy 6:3-5
The Power of Godliness
1. Review Part 1: Defining godliness and its power in the Christian's life, 1 Tim. 4:7-8.
2. Godliness cannot be a facade hiding internal corruption, 2 Tim. 3:5.
3. Continue to be exhorted by the power of godliness to shape individuals, churches and nations.
THE POWER OF GODLINESS...
I. IN THE CHURCH.
A. Godliness Affected by our Knowledge of the Truth, Titus 1:1.
1. Truth produces godliness: We must know truth in order to live godly, 2 Pet. 1:3.
2. Piety for God and interest in pleasing Him naturally turns us to His word to learn more of His will.
B. Our Doctrine, 1 Tim. 6:3.
1. Teaching must be consistent with godliness, in contrast with false teaching (2 Tim. 2:15-18).
2. Affects what we teach, practice and fellowship, 1 Cor. 5:1-2, 6.
3. Many doctrines are against godliness today: Adulterous remarriages; social drinking, immodest clothing, modern dancing, easy divorce, etc.
4. Casual attitudes and negligent attendance toward worshiping God, Heb. 10:24-25.
5. Eldership must know the godliness of prospective members, too, Acts 9:26-28; 18:27.
II. IN THE HOME. 1 Tim. 5:4 (Piety same root word as godliness), cf. 2 Tim. 3:1-5--
A. Obedience to Parents (3:2), Rom. 1:30.
1. Right before God, Honor, Eph. 6:1-2.
2. Hear and obey - Blessed, Prov. 1:8; 23:22.
B. Thankfulness of Children (3:2).
1. Parents give continual care for your growth, happiness and success. Respect your parents and show it in words and actions.
2. Devotion to God helps us be thankful to God and to parents.
C. Natural Affection toward Each Other (3:3).
1. Love of kindred, Rom. 1:31. We often hurt worse those we say we love the most.
2. This is where 1 Tim. 5:4 finds its duty / privilege ("requite", repay).
III. IN SOCIETY, 1 Tim. 2:1-2.
A. Nations Fall when Godliness Evaporates, Prov. 14:34; Psa. 144:15.
1. God removes wicked kingdoms (will remove this wicked nation, too), Dan. 2:21.
2. Preserved by godliness of the faithful, Matt. 5:13.
1. We must be driven by the power of godliness. Begins with the individual -- church -- the home -- the nation -- the world.
2. A life devoted to pleasing God can make a difference.
3. Let the power of godliness work in your life.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: September 11, 2015