TELL US PLAINLY!
1. Jno. 10:24 - An insincere request. But, a valid need exists: We need plain gospel teaching!
2. Jesus taught the people plainly - some were unwilling to hear & follow Him! - Jno. 10:25-27
3. Plainly: Openly, with bold confidence - Must characterize our teaching & preaching.
I. HOW THE GOSPEL MUST BE SPOKEN: PLAINLY.
A. Without Reservation, Completely - Acts 20:20, 27.
1. Some will not endure this kind of gospel teaching - 2 Tim. 4:3-4.
2. Must be done whether accepted or rejected (Ezek. 2:3-8).
B. With Openness & Frankness - cf. 2 Tim. 2:2 (Eph. 3:3-5).
-Make the pertinent, practical applications (cf. Acts 7:51-53).
C. Without Ambiguity ("wordiness") - 2 Cor. 1:19.
1. Such tends to dazzle but not edify & save - 1 Cor. 2:1-3.
2. Such tends to cause men to be impressed with the messenger rather than the message! - cf. Rom. 16:18 (Col. 2:4).
D. Without Fear Or Favor - Acts 4:18-20 (Gal. 1:10).
E. With Bold Confidence - Jno. 7:26; Acts 4:13, 29, 31.
1. Boldness is not brashness, it is the calm confidence of a faith which is grounded in truth, not human wisdom!
2. God expects us to speak the gospel with certainty! - cf. Phil. 1:28
F. Conspicuously, Publicly - Acts 26:24-26.
II. WHY THE GOSPEL MUST BE SPOKEN PLAINLY (Acts 20:20).
A. Belief & Salvation Come From Plain Bible Teaching - Jno. 10:25-28 (Rom. 10:13-17). -cf. Philip to the Ethiopian - Acts 8:35-37.
B. Spiritual Growth & Strength Come From Plain Bible Teaching - 1 Cor. 14:6-9, 26.
1. Speak to be understood, so hearers are strengthened in faith - 14:10- 16. Preaching that is not understood is useless!
a. To understand God's will - Neh. 8:7-8, 12. Read the word of God & helped the people understand it and they did!
b. To discern truth from error, right from sin - Heb. 4:12; 5:14.
c. To live with a sure hope - cf. Jno. 14:1-3.
III. WHAT WE MUST PLAINLY SPEAK.
A. Everything That Is Spiritually Profitable - Acts 20:20.
B. The Whole Counsel Of God - Acts 20:27.
-Not our opinions & personal preferences - "Thus saith the Lord."
C. The Words Of Faith, The Good Doctrine - 1 Tim. 4:6 (1:3; 6:3).
1. Jesus Christ - Jno. 8:24; Heb. 1:1-4.
-Who He is, what He has done, what He is doing, what He will do.
2. Sin & salvation.
a. Personal sin - Rom. 3:23; 6:23.
b. Personal salvation - Mk. 16:15-16.
3. Faithful, godly living - Rom. 12:1-2; Tit. 2:1-12.
-There is a crisis of spiritual apathy, neglect & indifference we must correct or be lost in!
4. Bible authority - 2 Tim. 3:16-17; Col. 3:17.
5. The church of Christ - 1 Tim. 3:15.
6. The errors of men - 1 Tim. 4:1-3.
7. The Christian's eternal life - 1 Pet. 1:3-5.
8. The sinner's eternal death - 2 Ths. 1:8-9.
IV. HE WHO HAS EARS TO HEAR, LET HIM HEAR! - Lk. 8:8, 16-18
A. Be Attentive & Obedient To The Word Of God - Neh. 8:2-3, 5-6, 18.
1. The lamp of truth is shining for all to see.
a. Ears that are attentive to the word of God - 8:3.
b. A heart that is reverent and humble before the word of God - 8:5-6.
c. A life that obeys the word of God after hearing it - 8:18.
2. Will you believe & obey it, or reject it for yourself & be eternally lost? - cf. Lk. 7:29-30
1. Our aim is to so teach God's word that there is no misunderstanding - Ezek. 33:33.
2. Only the gospel of Christ has the power to save - we urge you to accept its power in your life now!