Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Revelation 12:7-10
"I Have Overcome the World"
1. Conquering heroes are honored with praise, power, privilege. We benefit from heroic efforts of the past and present.
2. There is no greater struggle for men’s freedom nor a more glorious Conqueror than Jesus’ victory over sin and death and His exaltation on high, Rev. 12:7-10.
a. “There are no victories at discount prices.” (Gen. D. Eisenhower)
b. Christ’s victory won at great cost, Jno. 12:27-33 (Heb. 2:14-15).
3. At great cost Jesus has “overcome the world” so you and I may live free, Jno. 16:33.
I. JESUS HAS OVERCOME THE WORLD, Jno. 16:33.
A. He Has Overcome Satan, 1 Jno. 3:8; cf. Rev. 12:8-9.
1. Satan’s power to hold men in fear and tempt us to yield to the flesh is not insurmountable – Christ has defeated Him.
2. By His crucifixion He “cast out” Satan (destroyed his power base), Jno. 12:27-31; cf. Heb. 2:14-15.
3. Now: We can resist the devil, Jas. 4:7; 1 Pet. 5:8-9.
B. He Has Overcome Sin.
1. In His death He bore the penalty of our sin (death), 2 Cor. 5:18-21; 1 Pet. 2:23-24 (Isa. 53:4-6).
2. He “condemned sin in the flesh,” Rom. 8:3 (1-4).
a. By His sinless life, Jesus showed that the failure of the law to give life was not with God’s law, but with man weakness of flesh (Rom. 8:3; Heb. 4:15).
b. By His death, He condemned sin that dwells in man’s flesh (8:3).
3. Jesus overcame sin in His life and by His death.
4. Now: We overcome sin through Him, Rom. 6:5-11.
C. He Has Overcome Death, Jno. 11:25-26; Rev. 1:18.
1. Physical death, in His resurrection, 11:25; 1 Cor. 15:20.
2. Spiritual death, because he saves from sin, 11:26; Rom. 6:21-23.
3. Now: In Christ we are “free from the law of sin and death,” Rom. 8:1-2.
D. He Has Overcome the Darkness of Ignorance, Error and Immorality, Jno. 1:4-5; cf. Eph. 4:17-19.
1. A light bringing salvation to the nations, Lk. 2:29-32 (Matt. 4:16).
2. Light of the world to escape darkness, Jno. 8:12 (9:5).
3. Jesus is the Way and Truth who is the path to God, Jno. 14:6.
4. Now: We walk in the light and share in His cleansing, and live holy lives, 1 Jno. 1:6-7; Eph. 4:20-24.
E. He Overcomes Every False Doctrine, 1 Jno. 4:1-4.
1. False teachers, and their false doctrines, fall before Christ. Those who teach error are against Christ, 4:3.
2. Christ is mightier than they are, 4:4-6 (Gal. 1:8-9).
3. Now: We will not be deceived by error, 1 Jno. 2:12-14.
1. Victory over Satan, sin and death is through Christ, 1 Cor. 15:50-57.
2. You can share in His victory! Rev. 22:17
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 13, 2017