Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Matthew 22:8-14
1. Dread of eternal punishment is a compelling reason to obey God, Rom. 2:3, 6-11 (Heb. 10:31).
2. One attribute of hell: Outer darkness (Matt. 25:30).
3. Darkness: “metaph. of ignorance respecting divine things and human duties, and the accompanying ungodliness and immorality, together with their consequent misery in hell” (OBGL #4655).
4. Jesus warned sons of the kingdom of being cast into “outer darkness,” Matt. 8:12; Lk. 13:23-24, 28.
5. Therefore, how we live as God’s people will determine whether we enter the eternal warmth of God’s glorious light, or be cast into the cold abyss of outer darkness.
I. GOD IS LIGHT, NO DARKNESS AT ALL, 1 Jno. 1:5 (1 Tim. 6:16; Dan. 2:22).
A. Sons of the Kingdom are Children of Light, 1 Ths. 4:4-8.
1. We are not in the darkness (of sin), 4:4; 1 Pet. 2:9-10.
2. Sons of light & the day -- watch & be sober, 4:5-6.
3. Live as children of light means practicing the truth, 4:7-8; Jno. 3:19-21; 1 Jno. 1:6-7.
B. Heaven: The Lamb is its Light, Rev. 21:22-27.
1. The Lamb paid the price of redemption (Rev. 5:8-10).
2. Heaven is a place of worship & service (temple), 21:22.
3. Glory of God’s presence & honor illuminates heaven, 21:23-26.
4. No darkness of sin is present, 21:27 (21:4, 8).
II. DIVINE JUSTICE & WRATH AGAINST SINNERS WHO WILL NOT REPENT (Rom. 2:3-4, 8-9): Outer Darkness.
[“Outer darkness” refers to the darkness of the streets in the East, which are never lighted up by any public or private lamps after nightfall, in contrast with the blaze of cheerful light in the house. -Easton]
A. Outer: Outside of Heaven (Eternal Kingdom), Matt. 22:13; Rev. 22:15 (“without, out of doors”).
1. Away from all light & its source (God); away from all that is good.
2. Unrighteous will not inherit heaven, 1 Cor. 6:9-11.
3. Christians who fall won’t enter eternal kingdom, 2 Pet. 1:10-11.
4. Must not consider ourselves exempt, Rom. 2:3 (Matt. 8:11-12).
B. Darkness is a Figure of Sin, Jno. 3:19-21; Rev. 21:27.
C. Darkness is a Figure for Punishment, Exo. 10:21-23.
1. “Darkness which may even be felt…thick…all the children of Israel had light…”
2. “Blackness of darkness,” 2 Pet. 2:17.
-Reserved for those who walk acc. to the flesh, 2:10ff.
3. “Reserved in everlasting chains under darkness,” Jude 6.
4. Fear accompanies darkness (Matt. 10:28; Heb. 10:31).
D. Darkness is a Figure of Separation:
1. Of disorder & chaos away from God’s light (Gen. 1:2-4).
2. Away from God’s truth & all righteousness (Jno. 8:12).
3. Pain: “weeping & gnashing of teeth” (Matt. 25:30); Mournful despair; irreconcilable anguish.
4. No escape, Matt. 22:13 (“bind him hand and foot”).
III. ESCAPE ETERNAL DARKNESS!
A. Walk in Light of Truth…Follow Jesus, Jno. 8:12; 9:5 (1 Jno. 1:7).
1. Believe & come to Jesus, or the darkness of sin & eternal death will overtake you! Jno. 12:32-36
2. You are the light of the world, Matt. 5:14-16; Eph. 5:8-14.
-Bear the fruit of the Spirit, not the shame of darkness.
1. Jesus Christ gives life that lights our way, to overcome sin & death, Jno. 1:4-5.
2. We live in either darkness or light, 1 Jno. 2:9-11.
3. Unless we come to the light & live in the light, we will be cast into outer darkness, away from light forevermore!