Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Galatians 4:1-7
Our Adoption as Children of God
1. November is Nat'l Adoption Month (Nov. 21 is Nat'l Adoption Day). Object: To raise awareness of children in need of permanent families.
2. God uses the figure of adoption into His family to describe our salvation from past sins and our hope of future, eternal glory.
I. GOD CHOSE TO ADOPT US IN CHRIST, Eph. 1:4-5.
A. God Chose Israel when She was Cast Aside, Ezek. 16:1-6.
B. God Now Adopts Sinners in Christ, Eph. 1:4-5.
-The right to become a child of God, Jno. 1:12-13.
1. Receive Him: Right to act to become God's child.
2. Through a new birth, Jno. 3:3-5; 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
C. The Adoption Certified by Faith (Gospel of Christ), Gal. 4:5; 3:26-27.
1. cf. Israel, Rom. 9:3-4 (Exo. 4:22).
2. cf. Gentiles, Gal. 4:5.
3. God's family is the church, 1 Tim. 3:15; Eph. 2:19; Acts 2:38, 41, 47.
II. THE SPIRIT OF ADOPTION, Rom. 8:14-17.
A. Attitudes of the Father, Heb. 12:4-11.
1. Love: Spiritual provisions (Eph. 1:3), Discipline.
2. Guidance and growth, 1 Pet. 2:1-2 (word).
3. Joy and pain, cf. Lk. 15:20-32.
B. Attitudes of the Child, Eph. 6:2.
1. Boldness to approach God as Father, cf. Gal. 4:6; Heb. 4:16.
2. Divine assurance, 2 Cor. 6:16-17 (separate from sin).
-A permanent family that excels the flesh, Mk. 10:26-31.
3. Heirs of God with Christ, Gal. 4:6-7.
4. Obedient to the Father, Matt. 12:46-50; 1 Pet. 1:14-16; cf. Prov. 3:1; 6:20.
III. WAITING FOR THE (FINAL) ADOPTION, Rom. 8:23 (18-25); Eph. 1:14.
A. Eagerly Wait in Hope, 8:19, 24-25 (living hope, 1 Pet. 1:3).
B. Period of Suffering, 8:18.
C. Wait with Perseverance, 8:25.
1. Parents persevere through many obstacles in order to adopt. cf. God being longsuffering for our repentance, 2 Pet. 3:9.
2. Children persevere through years of waiting to be adopted.
3. God expects us to endure, Jas. 1:2-4, 12.
1. God wants more children! His house has room for all, Jno. 14:2.
2. God family will grow when you become a Christian and heaven will rejoice, Lk. 15:7.
3. Become an heir of God through Christ; be adopted by God, Gal. 4:7.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: October 28, 2015