Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 John 1-6
What Obedience Shows
1. Obedience is often viewed negatively; as if obedience implies force must be applied in order to bring about the desired result.
2. In fact, the opposite is true: Obedience that pleases God is generated from a heart of trust (faith), devotion and love. It is voluntary, humble and willingly submissive to God.
3. Why is it that obedience to God is an expression of our love for God? Jno. 14:15
I. BECAUSE OBEDIENCE SHOWS RESPECT FOR GOD'S LOVE, 1 Jno. 5:3.
A. Principle to be Taught and Learned in the Family, Eph. 6:1-2.
1. The sons of Eli illustrate the dishonor of disobedience, 1 Sam. 2:22-25.
2. Listen to (obedience implied) and do not disrespect, Prov. 23:22 (19:26; 30:17)
3. Respect is the practical exercise of love (goodwill, charity).
B. Respect for God Demands our Obedience, Deut. 11:18-23.
1. Respect is shown by actions, not mere words, Matt. 7:21; Lk. 6:46.
2. Obedience reflects the place of honor we give God in our heart; cf. 1 Pet. 3:15
C. Obeying God Shows the World that We Love God, cf. Jno. 14:31.
1. Our obedience is our example to the world! Matt. 22:36-38
2. Give the world a lesson on the love of obedience! This is the example we must set for the world, 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
II. BECAUSE OBEDIENCE SHOWS RELIANCE UPON GOD'S GRACE, Eph. 6:24.
A. God's Grace Teaches Us Obedient Living, Tit. 2:11-14.
1. Divine favor (grace) in our lives should compel a corresponding response in us that denies (rejects, disavows and refuses) ungodliness (lack of piety) and worldly lusts while engendering good fruit.
2. Grace impacts our manner of life; Must live...
a. Soberly: "suggests the exercise of that self-restraint that governs all passions and desires, enabling the believer to be conformed to the mind of Christ" (Vine).
b. Righteously: "just", without prejudice or partiality (Vine)
c. Godly: "pious, devout" (Vine).
B. Obedience Reflects Our Assurance and Trust in the Blessings of God's Grace.
1. Faith at work shows our reliance upon God's grace, knowing we do not earn our salvation, Rom. 5:1-2; Gal. 5:1, 4-7.
2. The blessing of answered prayer, 1 Jno. 3:18-22 (5:14-15).
3. We depend on God's grace, knowing that by faith the blessings of grace are ours now and eternally.
III. BECAUSE OBEDIENCE SHOWS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF FAITH IN GOD.
A. Obedience takes Responsibility for Trusting God's Way is Right, Heb. 11:8-10.
1. To live a life for an unseen land is the essence of dependence on God and trust in Him. (Heb. 11:13-16)
2. We walk by faith, taking responsibility for our actions before men and God, 2 Cor. 5:7-11.
B. Obedience takes Responsibility for making Sacrifices that Please God, Heb. 11:17-19.
1. Obedience says, "God will work it out"!
2. Obedience says, "I will suffer the loss of everything in order to gain Christ", Phil. 3:7-9.
C. Obedience takes Responsibility by Choosing the Reproach of Christ, Heb. 11:23-26.
1. By obedience we share in the sufferings of Christ, Phil. 3:10.
2. By obedience we defy the forces that vainly fight against the purposes of God - and receive glory! cf. Phil. 2:8-9; Col. 3:4
1. Obey Christ now and show you respect Him and rely on His grace. Take responsibility for your faith in Him by obeying Him now and always.
2. Christ saves all who obey Him, Heb. 5:9.