Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Micah 6:6-8
Obedience is Not...
1. Obedience to the commands of God has been demonized by the false doctrine of salvation by faith only:
a. Tenets of Calvinism distort God’s sovereignty and man’s free will which leads to minimizing obedience.
b. Misguided concepts of love reject obedience as its opponent, 1 Jno 5:2-3.
2. Also a temptation to turn genuine obedience into ceremony, ritual, rote and routine.
a. First and great commandment, Mk 12:28-30.
b. From a heart of joy and gladness, Deut 28:45-47.
I. THE VIRTUES AND ADVANTAGES OF OBEDIENCE.
-Necessary to obey God rather than men, Acts 5:29
-Spirit was given to those who obey Christ, Acts 5:32
-Obedient escape hell, Rom 2:7-8; 2 Ths 1:8
-Frees from sin, Rom 6:16-18
-The obedient are not bewitched, Gal 3:1
-Prevents corrective discipline, 2 Ths 3:14
-Shows respect for authority, Titus 3:1 (Matt 28:18)
-Obedient enter God’s rest, Heb 3:18
-Obtain eternal salvation, Heb 5:9
-Obey the word = won over to Christ, 1 Pet 3:1
-Saved with struggles (difficulty), 1 Pet 4:17-18
A. Is Not Earning Salvation, Lk 17:10.
1. The obedient views himself as a servant of God, Col 3:23-24.
2. The obedient views himself as unprofitable, Eph 2:9; 2 Tim 1:9.
3 Meriting salvation was forever forfeited by sin, Rom 3:23; 4:1-5.
4. Obedient faith is counted for right., Heb 11:7 (Jas 2:17, 24).
5. Obedience is faith working through love, Gal 5:6.
B. Is Not Defined by Each Person (self-defined), Matt 15:3-9.
1. Work out your own salvation has come to mean determine your own salvation for yourself, Phil 2:12.
a. Example: Used to silence rebuke of sin; “I have to work out my own salvation”. Yes, but “shall we do evil, that good may come”? Rom 3:8
b. Example: Moral issues like social drinking, dancing, immodesty.
c. Example: Divorce and remarriage against Matt 19:9.
2. Phil 2:12 is about maturity: Bring your salvation to a full accomplishment; a complete conclusion.
C. Is Not an Attack on the Sovereignty and Grace of God, Eph 2:8; Titus 3:4-5.
1. Saved by God’s power, love, mercy and grace, Eph 2:4-5.
2. God’s right to command and expect obedience is preserved and honored, Rom 9:19-20.
III. WE HAVE A MORAL OBLIGATION TO OBEY GOD, Eccl 12:13-14.
A. Obedience is the Free Will Actions of our Faith, Heb 11:6; Jas 2:17; Lk 6:46.
B. We Choose to be Saved by Believing and Obeying Jesus, Matt 11:28; Acts 2:21; 10:34-35.
1. The false doctrines of men have lessened the place and importance of obedience in obtaining salvation in Christ (Gal 3:26-27).
2. As a result, many are kept from coming to Christ for salvation and heaven.
3. Those that do the will of the Father will enter the kingdom of heaven; not because they deserve it, but because they trust Jesus and obey Him. Matt 7:21, 24-27