(Matthew 6:24-34)Intro. 1. Mk. 4:18-19 - Cares of world choke out God's word in many hearts! 2. The absence of anxiety in the Christian's life is in proportion to his faith - Matt. 6:25, 30-31. 3. Jesus draws upon relationships to teach basic lesson: God takes care of those who put Him first: a. Master / Servant - 6:24.
b. Creator / Creature - 6:26-30. (Birds, flowers, grass Ù Under God's care)
c. Father / Child - 6:26, 32 (7:10-11).
d. Power of God / Powerlessness of man - 6:27-29, 34.
e. Provisions of life / Life itself - 6:25. [Greater Ù Lesser]
f. Human life / Animal & plant life - 6:26, 30.
g. Man's faith / The blessings of faith - 6:33.4. Anxiety - A distracting care (Mk. 4:19). In context, the encroaching cares of life keep from serving God first (Phil. 4:6; 1 Tim. 6:6-10). 5. Matt. 6:33 - What are we commanded to do here, how do we accomplish it, & why should we? God-given reasons not to worry for our lives -- To live in faith -- Escape evil.
I. WHAT ARE WE COMMANDED TO DO?
A. Seek First (priority / prominence):
1. Kingdom of God --a. basileia - Denotes sovereignty, royal power, dominion;...by metonymy...the territory or people over whom a king rules" (VINE, II:294). b. The rule & reign of God in your life; The reign of Christ over every part of your life - cf. 1 Pet. 3:15 (Lord).
c. Cannot seek the church unless we 1st seek have Jesus as the Ruler of our lives!
2. His righteousness --a. "The character or quality of being right or just" (VINE, III:298). b. Not God's perfect sinless nature (Rom. 3:23). c. The means by which God pronounces sinful man not guilty of his sins - Rom. 1:16-17 (3:21-24) -- A life of FAITH! (10:3 - Submit to His righteousness! d. Involves right actions toward God & man - Phil. 3:9.
**A CALL TO OBEDIENCE WHICH REMOVES ANXIETY!**
II. HOW CAN WE DO THIS?
A. Become A Christian.1. Hear - Rom. 10:17; Jno. 6:44-45.
2. Believe the gospel - Heb. 11:6; Jno. 8:24.
3. Repent of sins - Lk. 13:3, 5; Acts 17:30.
4. Confess faith in Christ - Matt. 10:32; Rom. 10:9-10.
5. Be baptized into Christ - Mk. 16:16; Acts 22:16; Gal. 3:27.
6. Jesus is King of your life - Added to His kingdom - Acts 2:47.B. Be A Faithful Christian. 1. True to Jesus & His truth - Heb. 5:8-9; Rom. 12:1; Rev. 2:10 ("fear not"). 2. Christian w/o faith is doomed to fail - Heb. 3:12-13. 3. Faithful in heart, speech, morals, worship, service (Tit. 2:11-12).
III. WHY SHOULD YOU SEEK CHRIST & RIGHT ACTIONS FIRST? - 6:32-33
A. God Promises To Provide Your Necessities Of Life.1. With the right King, your loyal service is properly placed. (Matt. 7:21) 2. With the right conduct, your labor is rewarded - 2 Ths. 3:10; Psa. 37:25. (1 Tim. 5:8) 3. Lev. 25:3-4,18-22 - "I will command my blessing upon you." (cf. Mal. 3:7-12) Required faith & obedience -- Today! IV. GOD-GIVEN REASONS TO NOT BE DISTRACTED FROM PUTTING HIM FIRST IN OUR LIVES (1 Pet. 5:7). A. The Same God Who Created Life In You Can Be Trusted With The Details Of Your Life - 6:25. B. Anxiety About Future Hampers Your Efforts Today - 6:26. C. Anxiety Is More Harmful Than Helpful - 6:27. D. God Does Not Ignore Those Who Depend On Him - 6:28-30. E. Anxiety Shows A Lack Of Faith In & Understanding Of God - 6:31-32. F. There Are Real Challenges God Wants Us To Pursue, & Anxiety Keeps Us From Them - 6:33. G. Living One Day At A Time Keeps Us From Being Consumed With Anxiety - 6:34 (Jas. 4:15). -(LIFE APPLICATION BIBLE, p. 1687)
1. Life free of anxiety:a. Psa. 55:22 - Sustained by God.
b. Psa. 56:11 - Does not fear man.
c. Psa. 118:6 - Always better than trusting man.2. Live by faith & obey God's will! - Matt. 6:24; 7:21-23.