Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 12:25-29
A Kingdom that Cannot be Shaken
1. Ours is an unstable world: The National Earthquake Information Center reports about 12,000-14,000 earthquakes annually (~35/day).
2. Heb 12:28 (Shaken): “unshaken, unmoved; metaph. not liable to overthrow and disorder, firm, stable.” (Thayer)
a. 12:25-27: God’s voice once shook Mt. Sinai (12:18) and now He shakes things that will not stand. (Context: Judaism’s covenant, priesthood, sacrifices, temple…)
b. 12:27: So that which is unshakable will remain.
3. A kingdom (12:28): Mt. Zion, city of the living God, heavenly Jerusalem, general assembly and church of the firstborn! Heb 12:22 (God’s dwelling place with His people)
4. Christ’s kingdom is not shaken by the things of this world because it is not of this world, Jno 18:36.
5. Some notable things in God’s eternal purposes which cannot be shaken (cannot be moved from their mooring, made unstable and liable to be overthrown). These cause our faith to soar and be sustained in the “full assurance of hope until the end” (Heb 6:11).
I. THE KINGDOM OF CHRIST CANNOT BE SHAKEN, Heb 12:28.
A. Prophecy is Fulfilled, Dan 2:40-44; 7:17-18, 22, 27.
1. Announced by John and Jesus, Matt 3:2; Mk 1:14-15.
2. Defined by Jesus (kingdom is the church), Matt 16:18-19.
3. Established in NT times, Mk 9:1; Acts 1:8; 2:1, 41; Col 1:13; Heb 12:28.
B. The Kingdom Cannot Be Shaken By:
1. The kingdoms of men, Dan 2:44 (Roman Empire, Rev 17:14).
2. The death of its king, Matt 16:18 (Acts 2:24).
3. The power of sin, 1 Cor 15:54-58.
II. THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM CANNOT BE SHAKEN, Mk 1:14-15. (Repent and believe the gospel)
A. The Gospel of the Kingdom Withstands Every Assault, Matt 24:35; 1 Pet 1:22-25; Heb 4:12.
1. Modernists who deny its inspiration (2 Tim 3:16; 2 Pet 1:21).
2. Agnostics who doubt its credibility (Jno 17:17).
3. Atheists who reject its message and its God (Psa 14:1).
4. False teachers and their false doctrines (Gal 1:7-9; 2 Pet 3:16).
5. Weak Christians who will not rely upon it (Rom 10:17).
6. Fallen Christians who malign it (1 Tim 4:1-3).
B. The Gospel Cannot be Shaken because of the Integrity of God, Heb 6:16-18 (God’s word and God’s oath).
-We can rely upon it; we must live by it.
III. THE ETERNAL INHERITANCE CANNOT BE SHAKEN, 2 Pet 1:11.
A. God’s Description of the Christian’s Inheritance, 1 Pet 1:3-9.
1. Incorruptible: “not liable to corruption or decay, imperishable.” (cf. Food)
2. Undefiled: “free from that by which the nature of a thing is deformed and debased, or its force and vigour impaired;” that which is far removed from every kind of contamination. (cf. Rust)
3. Does not fade away: “unfading, the root idea being that it is unaffected by the withering which is common in the case of flowers.” (cf. Flowers)
4. Guarded through faith, 1:5, 7-9.
IV. FAITH, HOPE AND LOVE CANNOT BE SHAKEN, 1 Cor 13:13.
A. Faith, 2 Tim 1:12; Persuaded and unafraid (1 Pet 4:19).
B. Hope, cf. Titus 1:2. Our hope is secured by God’s integrity, Heb 6:17-19.
C. Love, 1 Jno 4:8. God is love (Matt 22:37-39).
1. Heb 12:28: Therefore…
a. Let us have grace (thanksgiving, Col 3:17).
b. Serve God acceptably (Heb 13:15).
c. With reverence and godly fear (Acts 9:31).
2. In Christ, we will not be shaken, Rom 8:37-39.
-Be faithful to Him by keeping His word, 1 Cor 15:58; 1 Jno 2:5-6.
3. You can live in stability and safety in this unstable world by being in the kingdom which cannot be shaken.