I. THE EARNEST OF THE SPIRIT - 2 Corinthians 1:22; 5:5; Ephesians 1:14.
A. Earnest - "Originally, earnest-money deposited by the purchaser and forfeited if the purchase was not completed....In general usage it came to denote a pledge or earnest of any sort; in the N.T. it is used only of that which is assured by God to believers; it is said of the Holy Spirit as the Divine pledge of all their future blessedness, 2 Cor. 1:22; 5:5; in Eph. 1:14, particularly of their eternal inheritance. - Vine, II:11.
1. This earnest, or pledge, of the Spirit is given by God - 2 Cor. 1:22; 5:5.
2. This pledge is "in our hearts" - 2 Cor. 1:22.
3. This is a pledge "of our inheritance - Eph. 1:14.
--It assures us that we are God's possession and that we shall be eternally redeemed.
4. "The earnest of the Spirit" seems to refer to the relationship the Christian enjoys with the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:9-11; 1 Cor. 6:19; 2 Tim. 1:14; 1 Jno. 3:24).
a. This fellowship of the Spirit (Phil. 2:1) is a pledge from God of our inheritance and future redemption (Eph. 1:14).
b. Its effect is that of "sealing" the Christian as God's - 2 Cor. 1:22; Eph. 1:13.
B. Acknowledging That The Christian Is Given The Earnest Of The Spirit Still Does Not Address And Answer HOW The Spirit Dwells In Us.
II. SEALED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT OF PROMISE - Ephesians 1:13; 4:30; 2 Cor. 1:22.
A. A Seal Indicates:
1. Authentication or genuineness (cf. a document) - Revelation 5:1-2.
2. A mark of ownership - Revelation 7:2-4.
3. A means of security - Matthew 27:66.
B. By Being Sealed With The Holy Spirit, The Christian Has Been Given Evidence That:
1. He is a true child of God - Rom. 8:16; Gal. 4:5-7 (genuineness).
2. He belongs to God - cf. Romans 8:9 (ownership).
3. He has a secure inheritance - Gal. 4:6-7; Eph. 1:13-14 (security).
C. Acknowledging That The Christian Is Sealed With The Holy Spirit Still Does Not Address And Answer HOW The Spirit Dwells In Us.