THE MODEL PRAYER
1. Called the "Lords Prayer," yet was not a prayer Jesus prayed.
a. v. 5-8 - Jesus taught how to properly approach the Father in prayer (cf. Lk. 11:2-4)
b. v. 9 - "After this manner" - Example of the content & motives of prayer (what, why & how).
2. Christians must be prayerful people We need this model, too!
I. God's Paternity: "Our Father (who art) in heaven." - v. 9
A. Recognize Our Relationship With God.
1. God is our Provider & Protector.
2. He is our Father due to: Creation (Gen. 1:1), provision, preservation (Matt. 6:25-30), & redemption (Gal. 4:4-7; Rom. 8:16-17).
3. "Our" Father - cf. 2 Cor. 6:17-18.
B. God Rules From Heaven & Is In Control - Psa. 11:4; Heb. 12:9. - Therefore, submit to Him & live!
II. God's Person: "Hallowed be your name." - v. 9
A. God Is Holy & Must Be Revered By Man - Psa. 111.9.
1. Hallowed - "To render or acknowledge" as holy.
2. His name is celebrated, venerated & esteemed as holy!
3. In prayer we acknowledge God's holiness.
4. In life we live in holiness (obedient children) - 1 Pet. 1:14-16
III. God's Program: "Your kingdom come" - v. 10.
A. Kingdom: Sovereignty, Royal Power & Rule.
1. The kingdom is the church - Matt. 16:18-19.
a. Christ came to establish it, not an earthly reign.
b. Mk. 9:1 - Those living saw the kingdom come (Col. 1:13).
2. Our prayers should recognize God's sovereignty over the church & contain supplications for its growth, maturity & safety.
IV. God's Purposes: "Your will be done" - v. 10.
A. Gods Will Has Priority Over Our Will - Matt. 26:39, 42; Jno. 5:30; Jas. 4:15.
1. Eccl. 12:13 - Here is God's purpose for us!
2. "On earth as it is in heaven" - v. 10.
a. Completely, constantly, consistently, etc.
b. We must pray this and devote ourselves to this kind of service!
V. God's Provisions: Give us this day our daily bread" - v. 11.
A. God Is Our Provider - Matt. 6:31-33; 1 Tim. 4:4-5.
B. We Are Dependent Upon God - cf. Matt. 5:45; Phil. 4:19.
-"Daily" - Rely on God each day!
VI. God's Pardon: "And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors" - v. 12.
A. We Need Forgiveness - Jno. 8:21, 34, 36; Eph. 1:7.
1. 1 Jno. 1:9 - Confess our sins to Him - He forgives!
B. God Forgives Us Just As We Forgive Others - v. 12.
1. A basis upon which we may plead for forgiveness - Lk. 11:4.
2. God's Proviso: If we cannot/will not forgive, we wont be forgiven - 6:14-15 (7:2).
VII. God's Protection: "And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one" - v. 13.
A. Pray To Not Be Led Into Temptation - Matt. 26:41 (Lk. 22:40).
1. "Don't allow us to be led into temptation" (to not succumb to temptation).
2. 1 Cor. 10:13 - The way of escape (through faith).
VIII. God's Preeminence & Praise: "For yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen." - v. 13
A. Prayer Is An Opportunity To Praise God - Rev. 4:11; 5:13-14.
B. Amen: "So It Is, So Be It, May It Be Fulfilled."
1. Prayer is not a casual, half-hearted exercise.
2. It is communication with the God of the Universe - Our Heavenly Father!
3. Every honor, reverence, praise & humility must attend our prayers.
4. Christians have every confidence that God hears & answers our prayers!