Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 31:31-34
Do the Words of Jesus Apply Today? (Part 2)
1. This study is needful because a number of brethren have been taught and are being convinced that the words Jesus spoke while on earth do not apply today.
2. Review Part 1:
a. Jesus came to fulfill the law and the prophets (Matt 5:17-18).
b. He did fulfill them (Lk 24:44).
c. As He was doing so, He was preaching “glad tidings” (gospel) to the lost (Isa 61:1-2; Lk 4:18-19).
d. Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom (Mk 1:1; Matt 4:23) and spoke the words of everlasting life (Jno 12:49-50).
3. Practical concerns: Whether to apply Matthew 5:32 and 19:3-9 to all marriages today; Whether to apply Jesus’ teachings on hell fire as actual and eternal; Whether any of His words apply today.
4. Part 2: Continue to study what Jesus taught and whether MMLJBC are part of the OT Law of Moses, or the NT gospel of Christ.
I. WHAT DID JESUS PREACH? (Matt 4:23)
A. The New Covenant, Jer 31:31-34; Heb 8:6-13; 9:15-17.
1. Christ’s blood dedicated the new covenant He had preached.
2. Preached a memorial supper eaten in the kingdom, Matt 26:19.
B. A Different (unique, distinct) Message, Jno 1:17-18 (Jno 7:46).
1. Jesus revealed the Father to man, something Moses did not do.
2. Jesus said He, not Moses, provided true manna through His words, Jno 6:32-35, 51, 63. If Jesus taught LOM, eternal life is in Moses.
3. If Jesus taught Moses, how is it the Jews knew Moses but did not know Jesus? Jno 9:28-29
C. Jesus and His Teaching is Presented as Superior to and to be Preferred over the Law of Moses, Matt 17:5.
1. “But I say to you,” Matt 5:22, 28, 32, etc.; 7:29.
2. Words contain eternal life (Jno 6:63, 67-68).
a. If Jesus was just teaching LOM, then eternal life was in the Law of Moses (Gal 2:21; 3:21).
b. His word standard of judgment and source of life, Jno 12:49-50.
3. Moses spoke of Jesus, not other way around, Jno 5:46-47.
D. The Apostles Said Jesus Preached the Gospel, not Law of Moses.
1. Jesus preached peace to Israel: Acts 10:36-37.
a. What peace? Rem. of sins, Acts 13:38-39 (not LOM, Rom 3:20).
b. The peace Jesus preached reconciles Jews and Gentiles to God “in one body” – Gospel, not the LOM! Eph 2:14-18 (Isa 57:19; 11:6-10)
2. Jesus spoke salvation (not the Law of Moses), Heb 2:1-3.
3. According to Matthew 28:19-20 the apostles were to teach “all things” Jesus taught them; was that the LOM or the gospel?
4. Why did the HS need to bring to their remembrance what Jesus taught if it has no authority (power) after the cross? Jno 14:26
II. DO MMLJBC BELONG TO THE OLD OR NEW COVENANT? 2 Cor 3:5-8
A. Were the Apostles Ministers of Death or Life? 2 Cor 3:5-6, 14-16
1. If MMLJ are not for today (LOM), then they minister death.
2. Yet, the ministry of death written on stones (3:7); that’s not MMLJ.
a. Was Matthew a minister of the old covenant when he wrote his book (by the Spirit) years after the cross? (cf. John)
b. Was book of Matthew a part of the LOM that was passing away, or part of the glorious ministry of the Spirit? 3:7-8
c. Did Luke write one book to Theophilus (Luke) that was a “ministry of death” (3:7) and one book (Acts) that was a “ministry of the Spirit” (3:8)? Lk 1:1-4; Acts 1:1
3. Were Jews reading Matthew as a part of the OT? Does the book of Matthew prevent Jews from turning to the Lord? Or, did Matthew’s book try to lift the veil that remained when OT read? 2 Cor 3:14-16
B. What “Writing of Requirements” was Nailed to Cross? Col 2:14
1. This is not the “verbal” teaching of Jesus: “…writing…”
2. This is not MMLJ (they were written decades after the cross).
3. LOM is the “the law of commandments,” Eph 2:14-15.
1. If MMLJBC are not New Covenant teaching, then…
a. A disciple of Christ is not permitted to appeal to the very words of his Master to authorize His conduct (cf. Lk 6:40).
b. The personal teachings of Jesus before the cross never apply to men after the cross. (But, Paul made application: 1 Cor 7:10; Acts 20:35).
c. The old covenant contains “everlasting life” (Jno 12:49-50).
2. Overwhelming NT evidence that MMLJBC are part of the doctrine of Christ; His will, dedicated by His blood and in force today (Heb 9:15-17).
3. MMLJBC contain the authority of Christ -- Hear Him (Matt 17:5).
4. We must hear and do the words of Jesus. Matt 7:24, 28-29